Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems & Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-01-31 08:11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for one knowledge of a common programming language (C should work fine, at least it did for me) and basics of object oriented programming are more or less a must, since UnrealScript per se is not an officially documented or supported language (unless you buy a license for the Unreal Engine perhaps..).

Other than that open UEd extract the code from the packages and take a look at how mutators, weapons a.s.o. are done. Then try with some small mutator and work your way up.

If you want to learn coding from scratch then I'd actually advise to not start with UnrealScript, since common programming languages are usually better documented and have more tutorials.

Also the BeyondUnreal development section has quite some good links - like UnrealWiki..

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Daemonshadow

PostPosted: 2009-03-26 21:43:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well, this seems to be the best place to ask this...my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've got everything working for INF and INF Coop, except for one small thing:

I'm having trouble getting the Camos2008 addon to work. I've followed the directions in the readme to the letter, and placed the folders in the UnrealTournament/System and UnrealTournament/Infiltration/Textures as instructed, but when I select any of the skins from this pack, they appear only as a black uniform with red X's on the shoulders, chest, and back. In first-person view, I see black sleeves, with the words "Please Choose Another Camo".

I'm assuming this is some kind of built in error skin, and that for some reason, the game isn't finding the files it needs in the places it's instructed to look.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone propose a possible solution?
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-03-26 22:04:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think those camos are installed on the server, which is why they don't work.

Do they work in a local game?
Daemonshadow

PostPosted: 2009-03-26 22:58:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah, I suppose I should have specified.

No, they did not work in a local game, though I've got them working now.

It seems that the installation directions were incorrect, and placed the actual texture files in a place other than where the game was told to look.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2010-02-17 01:51:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost. Trying to run UT/INF properly on a laptop (AMD Turion 64 x2, GeForce 8400M G, 2GB DDR2), had both Vista 32 and Windows XP (downgraded to XP), same result, slow downs from time to time. I can actually play relatively good, but from time to time I have a bullet time effect.

I tried what Crowze suggested as much as I could, nothing helped. Maybe you guys have a clue?

I finally played without a single crash, but it seems I have to trade one evil for another, either crashs or slow downs...

Sad
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2010-02-17 06:55:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned it before and for me it was the ONLY thing that ever worked on a modern laptop processor: use a tool that allows you to set a fixed clock permanently.

I've stumbled across RigthMark (http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml) in a notebook forum post about undervolting and wanted to try it. In the process I learned that RMClock allows you to set a fixed clock, which is quite exactly what UT/Inf needs, since it takes a look at the clock speed at startup and assumes it to be constant after that.

You may want to lock your CPU at a low clock first and then increase it if necessary unless you're running into heat issues - monitoring CPU/GPU temp should be normal for notebook user IMO, so if you don't do that already, get such a programm (e.g. HWMonitor). And I'd personally advise against setting full clock permanently, unless you're really far from your CPU critical temperature - although I set my CPU to 2.04GHz, which is closer to full speed than slowest speed, without any CPU heat issued, but then on a 8800M GTX SLI system the CPU usually isn't what heats up Mr. Green

I'm running a Core 2, so AMDs might behave a tad different, but I'd guess it's worth a try.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2010-02-18 17:19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me some more exact advise about what to do in RMclock? I try myself, but don't want to fubar things.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2010-02-18 17:46:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no real expert for the programm, but from what I remember from the times I undervolted my CPU - and set my "power saving" profile to not-so-powersaving anymore - here's what's roughly to do.

When you open the program you can hit the "profiles" setting which should look something like picture 1. Don't thouch anything yet, since changing something in here affects ALL profiles - it's handy for undervolting and explanation though. Basically any selected index for a speed steep means this state is available, any deselected will not be available for the CPU. So leaving only one selected will run your CPU at constant speed.

To not always have it running full throttle, you can edit the profiles themselves, which is shown in picture 2 and 3. Picture 3 is my normal speedstep-allowing profile (sadly in the detailed setting you only see three speed indexes). Picture 2 is my Inf setting - yeah, I used power saving because I started with the lowest multiplier.

In any case I'd still recommend you'd check the tools forums and/or manual, but basically if you don't touch the voltages and start with a low multiplier and monitor your temperatures there shouldn't be too much risk in it - although if you don't trust it enough I won't blame you (as I hope you won't blame me if it fries your new lappie Mr. Green)

Profile setting Example Profile "Power Saving" Example Profile "Performance on demand"
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2010-02-18 19:10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, I tried what you suggested, the behaviour changes, on 1 (picture 2 menu) it speeds up extremely and constantly, 2 I think makes sound broken, others play normal, but the slow downs still occur. I tried pic 3 too, no change.

It seems unfixable.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2010-02-18 19:22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.o

Well, pic three is quasi-normal speed stepping, so it shouldn't change slowdowns. Are you sure you unticked ALL expect one speedstep indexes and hit apply? The RM symbol in the task bar should indicate a fixed clock speed regardless of what activities are done (open a few apps or let something CPU intensive run to check if the clock remains constant).

Also you do have Inf running on one core only? And you don't have some command line setting that changes your speedstep profile? And you don't have any "CPUSPEED=XXXX" bullshit in the command line?

Perhaps it has something to do with AMDs being a tad different, so you might also have a look at the RMClock forums.

If all else fails you could still get a new lappie with an Intel chip Mr. Green

EDIT:
Had a few afterthoughts and two more things come to my mind.

For one you could try to disable speedstepping in the BIOS - again I'm not sure wether or not this is an option for AMD systems - with Intel systems this should run the CPU at minimum clock speed and eliminate any stepping. Try to run UT and if slowdowns still occur it's most probably NOT a CPU stepping problem.

The second is that I think to have read somewhere that UT has game speed problems when the framerate surpasses a certain, rather high limit (probably 200ish or 300ish or more). Try to set the frameratelimit below that (I think I use 60 or so) and see what happens - once again preferably with a constant CPU clock forced to eliminate side effects from there. You could as well crank up the graphic settings to native resolution and 4xAA, IF that reduces framerate enough (it doesn't on mine Mr. Green)

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2010-02-19 01:24:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to set frameratelimit (60, 160, 200), no change. Setting affinity to one core does no changes. Combining both gives me an LSD trip (extreme speed up). I'm so pissed.

I think the AMD equivalent to SpeedStep is "Cool'n'Quiet":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet <-- copy'n'paste the whole

Crowze suggested in his Beyond Unreal solution thread to deactivate it via RMclock as a possible solution, I have not the slightest clue how (I asked him but thread is old, he wont answer) and internet doesn't tell. I see if the RMclock forums know an answer.

Man, I hate computer stuff.

Edit: I booted BIOS menu and can't see an option to control Cool'n'Quiet anywhere. There is an option called "Quiet Boot", which is enabled, but I don't think that's it.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2010-02-19 05:59:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Man, I hate computer stuff.

I'm sorry to hear nothing worked so far Sad

Keep at it though, I'm pretty positive there should be a solution to it - I've had a hard time getting Inf to run on my last two laptops, on the first of the two so frustrating that I used my (then) old laptop to play Inf for six more months; but eventually I got it to work, and it WAS worth it. Interestingly the two troublesome computers both had different issues - given that one was a Core Duo and one Core 2 Duo (so they are somewhat similar) already indicates there's no patented solution, sadly.

On a sidenote you MUST set UT/Inf to run on a single core or weird shit is going to happen playing - not the speed probs you describe though.

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2010-02-20 11:50:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps it has something to do with AMDs being a tad different, so you might also have a look at the RMClock forums.

FYI
What if going on is a feature, and not a bug Wink

All modern (And not-so-modern) CPU's suport a feature known as CPU speed throttling, what this does is simple: lower the clockrate if the CPU isn't being used too much.
The reason for this is that it saves power, and generates less heat.
It doesn't change the voltage (It uses less power because the CPU will use less current, i.e. Amp).

Now, the highly modern and sophisticated Windows operating system has only one mode for this setting: On.
You can't turn it off, you can't configure it Sad You don't even need to disable it, just set the timeout higher (Default is 1s or something, set it to 60s and no problem).

So, this is what this program is for. To provide a missing Windows feature...

Quote:
For one you could try to disable speedstepping in the BIOS - again I'm not sure wether or not this is an option for AMD systems

It's called "AMD PowerNow!", but it's basically the same thing as Intel SpeedStep.
There's also Cool'n'Quit as Psy mentioned, which is the same thing, but for desktop systems, not for laptops (Just to keep things easy Wink)
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2010-02-20 14:03:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsomker, if you have more exact ideas what I could do, then go on. Very Happy
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2010-02-20 20:32:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know ... I've never really used Windows on a laptop myself ... I also don't have an installation to toy with ...

In general, this should work:
- Run UT on one core.
- Disable Intel Speedstep / AMD PowerNow
- Start UT with the CPUSPEED=n argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: