Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARMA 2 **Released in Germany**
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-05-23 12:19:22    Post subject: ARMA 2 **Released in Germany** Reply with quote

**updated 27th may**

Here is some more info about ARMA from other sources. Also, some links to (p)reviews.

ARMA2

Release dates
DE May 29, 2009
CZ June 17, 2009
SK June 17, 2009
EU June 19, 2009

Improvements over ArmA

* Multicore support
* Bump texture mapping
* Parallax occlusion mapping
* New glass, metal shine and reflections
* Micro AI
* Built in-dynamic conversation system
* Dynamic shadows
* New normalized textures
* New shaders
* New sound engine

Weapons
http://www.arma2.com/weaponry_en.html

Quote:
* Accurate models including graphics, sounds and animations.
* Variants with different scopes and accessories, including collimator sights, optical sights, grenade launchers or silencers.
* Optics have realistic zoom and field-of-view settings and reticles.
* Animated parts for shooting and reloading (triggers, receivers, ammo belts) and eject brass.
* Customized character animations for holding weapons based on inverse kinematics.
* Simulation of bullet ballistics, including material penetration and bullet deflection.
* Ammunition power and magazine compatibility according to the real life.
* Impact effects and sounds for various materials in the environment.
* Tracer rounds are used in a realistic way.

Vehicles
http://www.arma2.com/vehicles_en.html

Review / Preview
Tactical Gamer.
Quote:
The ambient wildlife and civilians add greatly to the environments and make the world feel like it is truly alive around you. The cows look up from grazing as you approach... I saw goats, boars, dogs, sheep, rabbits, chickens, cows and horses along with birds and insects..

So, to the infantry experience. On the ground and running and I am happy with the feel. Much more fluid than Arma 1. The running feels like a natural motion and the improved frame rate adds to the experience. All animated sequences such as weapon reload and sight raise, etc are slicker. Close quarter combat was a lot of fun and felt less clumsy than Arma 1. During a mission in a small town my AI team grouped intelligently with me as we moved around and used the terrain and buildings for cover. I even saw an AI comrade leaning from behind a wall to give cover, as another AI comrade ran up the road to the next building.

The new medical assist is a large part of successful gameplay in Arma 2. With multiple injury scenarios. you may need a simple bandage or full medical assistance with morphine injections from your team members. You all have to help keep each other alive in combat and this adds greatly to the drama.

When lying in tall grass areas it is possible to flatten the grass down by moving around to help visibility if trying to aim at the enemy as the grass remains trampled. It is also a good gauge to see if activity has occurred in an area as grass remains flattened when trampled by other troops and vehicles.

Parachuting is improved and a fun experience as we jump from aircraft and freefall. The motion blur effect captures the feeling of speed as we plummet to earth at high speed. I could control my dive rate and glide left and right before I opened the parachute. Then once I deployed the chute, I was able to steer to my preferred landing zone..

Armaholic.
Rock Paper Shotgun.

Youtube video's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on8Ne1jUf0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

Seems you lucky germans have the game in stores already!!
http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault-armed-assault-2-discussion/139761-guess-what.html

Last edited by zeep on 2009-06-02 16:17:58; edited 6 times in total
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-05-25 09:45:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last AA3 thread on BuF got temporarily converted into an ArmA2 thread (before further evolving into an OS philosophical debate). The Pics posted were nice enough, but as usual pics don't tell much about gameplay. Rather post a short review if you get the game commenting on the ammount of applied realism in game - plus if it's as buggy as the first one (at least that's what I heard..).

When is it due anyway?

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-05-25 16:38:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia:

Release date(s)
DE May 29, 2009[1]
CZ June 17, 2009[2]
SK June 17, 2009
EU June 19, 2009[3]

I will try it, I really need a substitute for inf, INF coop is really getting to me with all the little problems and bugs, and with INF tdm/dtas there are almost always the wrong people online when I look ...
The only way I managed to play for a few hours last week was because I was drunk ... :-/
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-05-25 17:01:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
The only way I managed to play for a few hours last week was because I was drunk ... :-/

That's perfectly acceptable - try to use beverages with at least 37.5% alcohol, preferably more, since then you get a better alcohol level in shorter time. Also avoid to eat all day before drinking, since this also reduces the ammount of liquid needed to reach TDM level Very Happy

BTW I'm not serious - at least I think I'm not serious. Would that be an option for all hardcore tacs? Just get drunk to the level you can play an hour with CETs?

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-05-25 17:19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well only a few months left for ARMA2, that's goo news. Now wouldn't it be great if we could import the DTAS type gamemode into ARMA2?

Large scale assaults or small one, with an objective to defend/attack, random teamspawns. It'll work great in ARMA!!

Maybe Carpet can show his coding skills ...
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-05-27 18:57:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated first post.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-05-27 21:41:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, it has the XM8 Surprised

Anyway, I'm not sure if my PC can run this game properly ... My system is just below the minimum specs ...

Also, I'm not even sure I will like this game ... But it looks like the best inf-replacement in a while (BFS excepted, but that will take a while).
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-05-28 06:18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the gameplay video did look reasonably nice for infantry combat - I'm just afraid I'll be forced to do tank driving (Sad) and helicopter flying (Mad) again in the campaign.

I guess I might get it - seems worth a try.

Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 06:23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone got a first look? Or am I the only one living in the German speaking area? Dammit I'm close enough to buying it, although it's usually not a good idea if I go point..

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 07:47:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
I'm just afraid I'll be forced to do tank driving (Sad) and helicopter flying (Mad) again in the campaign.

Yeah, that seriously sucked, jeeps were OK, tanks were not, and helicopters were definitely not.

In any case, I downloaded the game ... I'll try it tonight/tomorrow and report back...
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 09:43:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i would like is if we all get the game later this month and start the campain in coop together. That way we are all in the same unknown places and situations together! Someone suggested this on another forum and i got excited thinking about about it too.

We go through the briefings, yadayada etc... Let's see how well we do. VOIP is already present in-game, 3D positional audio, and supports classes (If i understand correct). We can keep TS in the backgound just in case.

What do you guys think? If there's a good amount of us i'm sure it'll be a memorable experience. Maybe i will start PM-ing Psych, Stink, Rasalom, Crowze, Mid etc... Get some more people onboard.

Regarding our own server; we can all donate some money to have the admin buy the game, as an incentive for running a server.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 10:13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
In any case, I downloaded the game ... I'll try it tonight/tomorrow and report back...

Shocked Sir, that's illegal, isn't it? Shocked

zeep wrote:
What do you guys think? If there's a good amount of us i'm sure it'll be a memorable experience. Maybe i will start PM-ing Psych, Stink, Rasalom, Crowze, Mid etc... Get some more people onboard.

Well, from what I understood from the 1.01Beta patch notes COOP supports only 4 players. What actually bothers me a bit more is the fact they also state something about a "Star Force transport service", which may or may not be a very bad translation for the Star Force copy protection, which is about the worst I ever experienced - granted that was a while ago, but it sucked horribly back then.

Given the fact they have to make a patch for release doesn't really increases my confidence in the game - not that this is unusual nowadays though.

So I guess I'll wait for Carpets feedback..

zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 12:05:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Force thingy isn't about the security, its part of an in-game mission. Was explained in the BIS forum.

Maybe carpet bought the game online? I'd hate to have the german version though since it's not possible to switch to another language.

Anyway, carpet please report back after. I can tell you one thing thats gonna bug the h*ll out of me now, player animations must play fully before another animation can begin. There's this part where a player hops a fence, gets a headshot in the middle of the climbing animation, finishes the fence-hopping animation without a care and then dies suddenly.
Same goes for reloading animations. It's preposterous. The idea of a devteam letting that one slide... Shocked
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 12:17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeep wrote:
The Star Force thingy isn't about the security, its part of an in-game mission. Was explained in the BIS forum.
That's good. Brings back my idea to actually buy that thing today, after all the Beta-patch is available now Mr. Green

zeep wrote:
Maybe carpet bought the game online? I'd hate to have the german version though since it's not possible to switch to another language.

Right, I always forget about the possibility to buy games online - and that's after buying all three Fallout 3 DLCs online [yeah, I know, I'm sick]. In my days downloading it usually meant to get the game "on crack" Smile.

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-02 15:11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What i would like is if we all get the game later this month and start the campain in coop together. That way we are all in the same unknown places and situations together! Someone suggested this on another forum and i got excited thinking about about it too.

This sounds nice ... If I like the game I will join in (... In fact, I will probably join in even if I don't like the game just for the team action ... ).

--

As for the download:
I downloaded the German version, according to the torrent title it is ``With English patch'' ...
I just download it to see if I actually like the game before I actually buy it, instead of buying a ``cat in a bag'' as we say in Dutch (Meaning: Buying something you can't see).

If I like the game I will buy it ... Really! I do! (Usually anyway ...)

--

btw. Zeep, can you resize the pics above? Now the width is much larger than my screen ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: