Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-08-20 20:49:15    Post subject: AVATAR Reply with quote

A film by James Cameron.

Trailers

Moviemaze.de (download)

Apple.com

MSN (french)
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2009-08-24 12:55:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! Shocked

That planet looks like NaPali Wink
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-08-24 15:28:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I will put this movie on my to-watch list (I mean it has barely clad blue alien chicks - still breathing though, but you can't have everything) I'm not really getting the similarity to NaPali.

Dense jungle vegetation? Didn't spot any of this in Unreal. Flying mountains? Uhm, nope, not in my copy either. Plus there's neither Nali, nor Nali cows, nor Skaarj or Krall to be seen anywhere.

Although I'd probably pay triple price to see a movie where mankind eradicates the Nali (Mr. Green) - but alas I fear also this movie will end up with some sort of conscience.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-08-24 23:57:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkmarder wrote:
That planet looks like NaPali Wink

My first thought was: "Halo" + "Unreal"

Snakeye wrote:
Dense jungle vegetation?

NaPali is meant to be a tropic, jungle like planet with colder and emptier locations high up in the mountains. If the engine wouldn't be so dated you'd see a more detailed vegetation. Of course, Pandora (the human name for the planet in the film) is more strange, while NaPali is more authentic (which is good).

Snakeye wrote:
Flying mountains?

Sky Isles? When I saw the flying mountains I instantly thought "Unreal".

Snake... you are clearly playing to much on XploD, forgetting to enjoy the view... so focused on Nalis. Rolling Eyes

Also Na'vi, Nali, even the name is similar, and the Na'vi are 10 foot tall, just like Nali. Also the Na'vi are a technologically rather primitive tribal culture, just like the Nali, many similarities (though the Na'vi will kick some ass, so be glad you deal with sissy Nalis). I agree about the Nali Cows though.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-08-25 06:23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Sky Isles? When I saw the flying mountains I instantly thought "Unreal".

Was that Unreal, RtNP or a mission pack? Because frankly anything that's not in the first or second is not considered canon. And yes, alcohol doesn't preserve your memory as good as it preserves spiders.

Psychomorph wrote:
Snake... you are clearly playing to much on XploD, forgetting to enjoy the view... so focused on Nalis. Rolling Eyes

I've probably shot more (non-admin spawned) Nalis in COOP1&2 than on XploD - hell I've probably shot more Nali in COOP2 Iphigenia map 1 than on XploD server. Ahh, the memories Mr. Green

Psychomorph wrote:
Also Na'vi, Nali, even the name is similar, and the Na'vi are 10 foot tall, just like Nali. Also the Na'vi are a technologically rather primitive tribal culture, just like the Nali, many similarities (though the Na'vi will kick some ass, so be glad you deal with sissy Nalis). I agree about the Nali Cows though.

Nali are 10 foot tall? Really? Most I meet are about 9 foot - after a couple of 9mms take their heads off Mr. Green. I agree on the similarities, though I'd rather blame general creative lazyness than anything else.

Let's see what changes they introduced to Nali:
- Blue skin: many nerds think it's sexy (72.7% according to a representative study)
- Two arms: to make them more similar to humans thus increasing sympathy of the viewer (awww, the poor little guys).
- No peaceful-non-violent-hippie-scum mentality: because for one there is no such thing as a peaceful society that will persist and as second it would seem pretty awkward if the movie was about humans who slaughter the indigenous people of a planet who don't fight back, I mean wouldn't that make mankind look even more like pricks than they already look invading a foreign planet? (I wouldn't mind, but then my views aren't always socially acceptable in current society).

Now what did they keep:
- Nature-close "primitive" society: well, because it's a classic. A colonialist force with modern technology against "primitive" native inhabitants is the story of colonialism and imperialism and thus a situation most western society member will understand - although the social accepted view nowdays it's more the "evil" colonialists against the poor natives - I've probably watched Zulu one time too often for that.
- Tall natives: because frankly humans slaughtering hobbit size natives would make them look like pricks. Or to quote "Looking for Group" as they fight Gnomes:"By the gods! They look like children!" "I know. It's hard to kill just one."

I don' think they actually thought of Unreal - it's just that Unreal is not really a creative masterpiece, story and setting wise.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2009-12-16 22:51:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good movie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: