Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPP-1M underwater pistol (In development)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-03-19 13:51:13    Post subject: SPP-1M underwater pistol (In development) Reply with quote

Hello all Infiltration fans,

I got into INF coop recently and noticed that underwater combat there involves knives, frag grenades and pre-placed claymores since you can't fire weapons while underwater.

I had some experience creating weapons for Killing Floor on UT2k4, so I've decided to try adding a SPP-1M underwater pistol to Infiltration to make underwater combat less silly.

The firstperson model has been finished, unwrapped, and coloured. I only have to finish up the textures and then do the animations (Big thanks to C.inigo for posting his INF handrig).

I don't have any experience with compiling for UT99 yet. And actually I have not managed to successfully load INF assets in the UT99 SDK yet, I see that there are InfED icons in the install directory but there seems to not actually be an infiltration editor?

Edit: I've now managed to look at the INF assets in the UT99 editor
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-03-22 20:50:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work. This is going to be a useful contribution.
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-04-07 13:10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update.
The model, texture and animation are almost finished. I got lazy and didn't draw in some details like the inside of the frame, the spring behind the trigger, as well as a metal texture for the bullets. I might do these before any actual release.
Animation wise, I haven't used this handrig before and it works differently from what I've seen for Killing Floor, and so this animation was a little difficult to make and adjust. It's possible I may revisit it sometime in the future if I learn anything new about how to use this handrig, but for now this should be good enough for a test release.
I couldn't upload the .mp4 preview as an attachment, so I uploaded it to gfycat.
https://gfycat.com/DetailedDeepAmericanwarmblood
I also uploaded the texture and some helpers if Psychomorph wants to take a look these.
It's planned that the player will be able to unload partially used clips, and only load full ones. Any partially loaded clips that are dropped by reloading will then be lost unlike the UDAR.
For now I've exported the skeletal mesh and animations, I'll have to figure out how to compile this for INF now.
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-04-18 17:53:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to put together something that should be good enough for a test version. It reuses a couple of INF sounds and there are a couple of minor visual issues which I was too lazy to spend time implementing or figuring out how to fix.
- No world models for partially expended clips
- No visualization of spent primers
- Weapon name doesn't appear in select icon

The weapon also behaves differently from it's real-life counterpart. I've read that the SPP-1M can only be reloaded when empty, perhaps it is related to whichever chamber the striker mechanism is rotated to. Considering gameplay purposes I've let the weapon reload whenever any rounds are missing, especially since it would be a lot of work to set up all the animations for every single case possible. All unspent ammunition in partially fired clips is discarded and this conveniently ensures that only 4 round clips are loaded.

I've tried messing with the weapon code to get it fully functional underwater, but it looks like aiming and reloading is still tied to the soldier class, so for now the only underwater feature that works is firing.

I haven't finalized the ballistics either, but for now I've set the values to resemble 7.62 NATO. It's likely too powerful, but it was to compensate for not being to reload underwater.

Here is a preview video showing the first person animations. I have not tested to see if the world models on the player show up fine yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9P4rXdiMEc
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-04-21 00:24:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on the gun! Excellent animation work also.

I made my custom offsets already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCuctr-QgY&feature=youtu.be

Two issues:
1. Shoots too low when aimed
2. When cartridges removed it is held too close to view
3. Wrist position when inserting new cartridge
_ _ _

1. I think you mentioned the bad zero problem, so I guess you know.

2. Although I use custom offsets in the picture, but compare the left row where the pistol is moved closer to the view when reloading, to the right row, where I moved the pistol further away during that particular phase of the animation.

It's definitely good to give it some movement to make it look not too static. So maybe make the gun move slightly bit to the right instead of backward (when fumbling with the pouch on your chest, it is natural to move the pistol held in the right hand slightly outward, away from center to free the working space).
After that, the character should move the pistol back away from the view and insert the new cartridge.

I think the right row in the picture looks better if the pistol is kept away from the face.

Picture:
https://i.imgur.com/zbBZNeT.jpg

To be more clear:
- when reloading, character keeps gun away from the view and removes empty shells
- while the left hand goes for the new cartridge, the right hand moves slightly outward to the right (perhaps a bit down and back, but only slightly to look more natural and less robotic)
- then the pistol is moved back to the center (still not too close to the view) and new cartridge is inserted (the gun doesn't move much, but held steady).

3. Minor point; The left wrist looks a bit too high coming straight from the left corner when you push in the new cartridge. Perhaps you could make it come more from the bottom left, similar to how it is in the beginning when you remove the empty shells (not the same position, because variation makes it look natural, it just looks like the wrist is too high).

Other than that it looks really good, especially the animation.

Last edited by Psychomorph on 2019-04-21 00:39:11; edited 5 times in total
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-04-21 00:25:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to colour tweak the texture a bit, but forgot how to extract the texture from the .u in the UnrealEd.

Perhaps someone can give me a hint?
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-04-21 12:29:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:

- when reloading, character keeps gun away from the view and removes empty shells
- while the left hand goes for the new cartridge, the right hand moves slightly outward to the right (perhaps a bit down and back, but only slightly to look more natural and less robotic)
- then the pistol is moved back to the center (still not too close to the view) and new cartridge is inserted (the gun doesn't move much, but held steady).

3. Minor point; The left wrist looks a bit too high coming straight from the left corner when you push in the new cartridge. Perhaps you could make it come more from the bottom left, similar to how it is in the beginning when you remove the empty shells (not the same position, because variation makes it look natural, it just looks like the wrist is too high).

Regarding this "reload grip" position, I can tweak it so the weapon isn't as much to the left of where it is at the moment. However the weapon should stay static while the magazine pouch sounds are playing to keep consistent with the behaviour of all other INF weapons which don't play any animations during this duration.

I did think of moving the weapon to the right of the screen after the shells are removed to create this effect, but I was worried the movement to the right and then back would look too artificial. The HK69 doesn't do this I believe, and it still looks fine.
Here is a quickly made preview featuring a new camera position that matches the ingame view more closely. The weapon now moves forward and to the right after the shells are removed, and there's a pause for when the magazine pouch sounds are playing.

https://gfycat.com/BlaringOccasionalElectriceel

I altered the rotation a bit too, but I don't like the way the breech faces the camera perfectly, I'll tweak it some more but I actually think the old rotation looks the best.
And as for the wrist, I tried tweaking it slightly but it's difficult to do so I'll leave it as it is.

Psychomorph wrote:
I wanted to colour tweak the texture a bit, but forgot how to extract the texture from the .u in the UnrealEd.

Perhaps someone can give me a hint?

I'm not sure if this is the most optimal way to do it, but I would use UModel to export the package. All the files get renamed to the handle as used in the class, and the texture files get converted into .TGA format. So I would convert them back into indexed 8-bit PCX and rename them back to their original source names as specified in the class file.
After editing the textures, compile the package with ucc make or the Unreal Editor.
If you have not already, you may need to set up a shortcut with launch options for the editor to get it to load the Infiltration packages before you can compile.
Code:
 ini=Infiltration.ini userini.InfiltrationUser.ini

To save you the trouble of decompiling and setting up the source, I have attached my source files.

There are some unused things here like the world models for partially used clips and the weapon nomag meshes that I was too lazy to implement. You can also look in the weapon class to edit the offsets there, I think the hip prone offset could use some tweaking and you could also find the values to fix the weapon zero perhaps.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-04-21 21:21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new animation is better, looks really good.

I'll look into the texture thing, thanks. I used to extract them via UnrealEd, but it totally slipped my mind how I did it (10 years ago).
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-07-19 22:20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you intend to release the new animation version?

I can see the texture you uploaded, but I need to test it in-game, but I just can't figure out how to open the .u file and export/import the texture.

It's absurd, I did this with the psytex mod, but the memory vanished.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-07-21 22:59:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip with the launch options, that is indeed how I used to open INF files in UnrealED.

So I made a texture tweak. You probably will not like it, because I made the colour more gunmetal dark, as it is in good quality pictures. This fits the psytex style much more and looks more proper.
I used this picture as example. I also made the colour of the ammo and the grips more like in the photo.

I suggest that we can do two versions, your default with bright textures and a darker psytex version. Stinkmarder then will decide which he wants to host on his server. Sounds fair to me.

I wonder if you could maybe take the arm position from the Mk23? They look a bit more proper to me.

In any case, I hope you can upload the latest version of the animations. Stinkmarder will give it a test run.

The texture rework attached (only textures)
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-07-28 19:31:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled a new version with a slightly updated animation and incorporated the new darker texture.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2019-07-28 20:57:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back and thanks a lot. I'll advise Stinkmarder to test it on the servers.

I see you mentioned that textures look dark for you. You seem to use the DX11 driver. It has ENB enabled and make things look very bright with too much contrast.
I personally avoid it and use DX10. Textures look good for me that way. Perhaps you should try it and use F11 to adjust brightness.
Scuddles

PostPosted: 2019-07-29 07:55:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

the colours look alright ingame, it's just especially dark in the screenshot probably due to showing it at default gamma. Check ingame and see if it looks alright for you
EGM<P>

PostPosted: 2020-04-05 08:20:17    Post subject: spp1m Reply with quote

hey joe scuddles hatt gefragt ob seine unterwasser pistole mutator auf den server gemacht werden kann, gruesse aus den niederlanden von eric
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2020-05-24 17:27:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed on both coop servers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: