Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARMA 2 **Released in Germany**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Mabuse[FOOL]

PostPosted: 2009-06-04 08:15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

But u wouldnt say the game is nearly full of bugs and unplayable as i read in some tests , before the patch i think !? Yeah the mouse responsiveness was also a problem in ARMA 1 . Iam not sure to buy it cause i read a lot of complaining about the game ..one was writing much bugs as in söldner secret wars ...well thats horrible Razz So iam waiting 4 u to get the go man Very Happy

greetz
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-04 09:53:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Mabuse[FOOL] wrote:
But u wouldnt say the game is nearly full of bugs and unplayable as i read in some tests , before the patch i think !?

I downloaded the 1.01Beta patch during installation and applied it immediately - after all there usually is a reason why they put up patches so short after release. Can't say I encountered anything gamebreaking so far, even had a few focus-steals from another application and ArmA2 survived these fine (Fallout 3 hates such shit and is usually pissed off beyond repair when such a thing happens - but seems more resistant to fcous stealing..).

There still are some glitches I found that could be descriped as annoying. For one the character selection screen has the option to add glasses to your head - an option I really liked in Fallout 3, since my personal character there had actual similarity with me (i.e. is ugly) - but most glasses had no texture, don't now if it's the same in-game though. Also the basic training had some strange effects, like starting the obstacle course twice at the same time, which resulted in having to do it two times and then failing both since it took too long; the medic training stated I was supposed to carry the wounded, but activating him resulted in applied first aid, which finished the training successfully - like, yeah, I did the wrong thing but it's okay?

It doesn't appear very polished, but game-breakers have avoided me so far - once again keep in mind I only played an hour or so. If you're not in a hurry I'd suggest at least waiting for the final 1.01 patch, perhaps even a bit more..

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-04 21:31:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, ehm, acquired, a working version of the game ... Sure is buggy ... And movement is even more awkward than OPF (Yeah, it's actually possible).
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-04 22:10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
..movement is even more awkward than OPF (Yeah, it's actually possible).

OMG WTF Shocked
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 05:27:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define awkward? Apart from having only walk and sprint and no jog, plus the very strange crouch sprint speed I didn't find it that bad so far.

To be honest my main grief so far is the mouse control. Apparently there is either a mouse acceleration that can't be turned off or the weight implementation of the weapons has gone horribly wrong or the framerate really has effect on the mouse movement, in any case I'm having a pretty frustrating time at the moment just moving my point of aim where I want it to be; I usually overshoot and when trying to adjust more slowly the weapons barely moves, guess I'll have to play around some more with the settings. To give an image of how frustrating it is, there's a "challenge" in free training where you move through a killhouse area with popup targets. I tried this challenge with both M16A4 and AKM and failed. I finished it with both M240 and MG36 - from what I thought it should be the other way round..

Another very odd point seems to be the graphic settings. Some don't seem to have any influence on framerate, plus the default settings are bullshit. The game started in 1920x1200 with normal details, which IS unplayable on my rig and looks like shit too - a classic double fail. I'm down to 1280x800 with high settings now and it both looks better and is playable, although the framerate still "sucks" in some areas. Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with a 20ish framerate, but apparently the game has some effects that get worse with lower framerates - e.g. the movement blur effect (which I find actually nice once you set it to low) and possibly the above mentioned mouse movement. I'm not sure what BI thought when they added effects that are only nice on high performance systems - it's a sure way to piss off any low end users, who already have a distinct disadvantage. And to make things funny the world seems oddly brownish to me - I mean, yeah it is a military simulation, but a touch more green for grass or some of the trees wouldn't have hurt.

Moving seamlessly on to the weapons there's the good, the bad and the fail. The good first (since it's short Mr. Green) the weapons look reasonably nice, iron sight are used from the models and sway with movement [which actually can't really be a great achivement nowadays since even Hell in Vietnam (demo) did it], the recoil seems appropriate and the sounds aren't all that bad either - oh, yes mags keep their ammo when performing tactical reloads. The bad (or rather not so good) are the (usual) omittment of proper tactcal reload - no +1 round plus the cocking animation might be played (not sure since you don't see the animation enough) - the hip position looks strange and I've yet to find a way to turn off the zoom when holding the RMB. The fail (and I mean fail) are to this time the M240 reload animation and the "slight" zoom that's applied when looking through the irons; seriously why is there a zoom when I can zoom separately? It buggs the hell out of me since I usually walk with Inf-style "high ready" (aimed with sights low) when expecting contact, which seriously reduces the FoV in ArmA2.

Can't really say much more to this time, since I got frustrated yesterday to a point where I just needed to get on an Inf server. I assume the above does look overly negative by now, but I attribute some of it to the fact it's been ages I played another military sim than Inf, which seems to make the transition rather hard for me. I still find the game strangely promising though - I'd just suggest anyone who's unsure to wait until at least one more patch is out, especially when on a lower end system.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 09:12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I hope some of your mentioned issues get adressed soon in future patches. In OFP i also had to get used to the movement system but once i had my 'INF movement expectations' lowered, the transition wasn't that bad. Wink
Do you have mouse acceleration enabled in your OS btw?

On STEAM they're offering the game (presale) for € 48,-, which is very expensive.

US: $49,99 (35,10€)
UK: £29.99 (34,60€)
Europe: 47.99€ (£40,60 / $66,90)

According to Steam the publisher defines the price but it's higly unlikely that Steam can't influence that. The euro price is just another assrape for europeans. As if our great EU (NWO) political union isn't bad enough. Plus the political parties are a joke.

Anyway, the game is € 26,99 here plus it ships on the earlier date, june the 19th.
http://www.cdwow.nl/search?query=armed+assault+2&category=all

*edit*
According to this list i can expect no more than 19 FPS average!

Taken from the worst review i've read yet.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685770/Armed-Assault-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-and-visual-quality-compared/Practice/

Last edited by zeep on 2009-06-06 08:49:58; edited 1 time in total
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 10:02:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeep wrote:
Hmm. I hope some of your mentioned issues get adressed soon in future patches. In OFP i also had to get used to the movement system but once i had my 'INF movement expectations' lowered, the transition wasn't that bad. Wink
Do you have mouse acceleration enabled in your OS btw?

I hope too. As mentioned before it seems the game has the potential to be fun on COOP and when playing Infantry - plus it appears to be moddable [I assume since there is a custom content ArmA2 forum section], not to mention the mission editor may allow for prolonged availability of custom mission packs.

Mouse acceleration is disabled in my OS - I never got used to it since I tend to make faster movments when "scared" or "in panic" and then end up losing orientation completely. I prefer my mouse movement linear, both on desktop and in games.

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 11:42:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Define awkward? Apart from having only walk and sprint and no jog, plus the very strange crouch sprint speed I didn't find it that bad so far.

It just feels very awkward.

Also, the blurring effect is just plain stupid, it's designed to emulate some disorientation from moving alot, but we humans already have human eyes with the same biological limitations, so the limitation is now doubled. (...If you understand what I mean).

Oh, and ``Jumping'' (V key) is just silly (Took me quite a while to figure out what the little dance was for...).

Quote:
To be honest my main grief so far is the mouse control. Apparently there is either a mouse acceleration that can't be turned off or the weight implementation of the weapons has gone horribly wrong or the framerate really has effect on the mouse movement, in any case I'm having a pretty frustrating time at the moment just moving my point of aim where I want it to be;

Yeah, I have similar problems, I had real trouble at the 30M shooting range :-/ ... It looks&feels like mouse acceleration gone bad ...

Quote:
*edit*
According to this list i can expect no more than 19 FPS average!

I only played for ~30 min, but it ran fine on my system so far, didn't measure FPS, but it seemed OK ... This was with a 9600GT

Quote:
Mouse acceleration is disabled in my OS - I never got used to it since I tend to make faster movments when "scared" or "in panic" and then end up losing orientation completely. I prefer my mouse movement linear, both on desktop and in games.

Pretty off-topic, but mouse acceleration is very useful IF implemented properly, too bad the Windows OS doesn't have proper mouse acceleration (As a sidenote, neither has Xorg, actually, FreeBSD's sysmouse is the only mouse driver with good mouse acceleration I know of ... I think OSX also has proper mouse accel...)
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 11:44:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On STEAM they're offering the game (presale) for € 48,-, which is very expensive.

US: $49,99 (35,10€)
UK: £29.99 (34,60€)
Europe: 47.99€ (£40,60 / $66,90)

Maybe buy the game from amazon.co.uk or in US? Even with shipping it's probably less expensive...
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 12:57:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get it from the CDNow link i posted before. I'm once again appalled by Steam's pricing scheme.

If you like, just browse through this first post here to see a broader view on their pricing.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231

Carpet, since we have the same gfx card, can you get an in-game fps reading, maybe using fraps? I just don't want to believe those benchmark numbers from my previous post are for real. *shudders*

My pc has a E8400E duo CPU @ 3.00 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 9600 GT 512 MB, XP Pro sp2.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 14:27:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Yeah, I have similar problems, I had real trouble at the 30M shooting range :-/ ... It looks&feels like mouse acceleration gone bad ...

I found out what causes this [on my system] and I'm significantly put off that it actually was the framerate, as suggested on the ArmA2 forums. When running at 30fps and above weapon movement is resonably fine - there is a slight "heavy" feeling, but not really bad. So I turned off grass completely - since I don't like it anyway plus the AI isn't bothered by the fact I'm hiding in tall grass, so why should I be not able to see through it - and now I have rather stable framerates above 25-30 also in built-up places. Now I even managed to finish the clay pidgeon shooting with the MP5A5, the AK74 and the M9(!).

Downside is, that ArmA2 looks like shit now, but then again it's not like I have many options left - resolution already is at my personal minimum and details are normal to low. This game surely needs a patch for better performance, or at least a patch that fixes the influence of performance on gameplay - although it might also be an industry trick to get people to buy faster rigs in times of economy crisis. It's not like I'd expect to play a game that looks like the promo-"screenshots", since I know the limitations of gaming laptops, but with twin 8800M GTX and a new-Gen engine I'd expect the game to at least look better than Inf in every aspect - which it fails at the moment.

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-05 15:19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carpet, since we have the same gfx card, can you get an in-game fps reading, maybe using fraps? I just don't want to believe those benchmark numbers from my previous post are for real. *shudders*

My pc has a E8400E duo CPU @ 3.00 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 9600 GT 512 MB, XP Pro sp2.

We have the same graphics chip, not the same card, it can matter a lot which card you have.
I have a ASUS EN9600GT HTDI (It has 1024MB Memory, not sure how useful that is though...)

The rest of my system is far inferior to yours:
Asus A8N SLI mainboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2048MB RAM (DDR1, 400MHz!)
zeep

PostPosted: 2009-06-18 11:38:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

God there's so many problems with arma2 it seems. A lot of troublesome topics in the BIS forum, bad reviews on the internet and the engine performs really bad on high end pc's, according to everybody.

The framerate in multiplayer games is 30 max for most. That's just awful.

The excitement i was feeling for this game has greatly deplenished for now. I'll check back after some patches.

How long until Blackfoot's game?

On a side note, i installed Darkest Hour (mod for RO). It's pretty good, especially the suppression effects and supersonic bullet cracks.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-06-18 12:26:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The excitement i was feeling for this game has greatly deplenished for now. I'll check back after some patches.

Indeed, I'll check back in a few months and see if it's playable.

Quote:
How long until Blackfoot's game?

IIRC their cunning plan is to release the by the end of the year ...
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-06-18 15:41:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep you updated as new patches are released, if the game starts being playable for me. Right now I'm basically at recommended settings (laptop malus taken into account) and it is unplayable - holy zombie jesus, I don't want to know what would happen if I was at minimum, but judging from some reports on their forums it'd be not much different :mgreen:. I wonder where they get these system specs from..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: