Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum optimization suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 01:38:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to run to a bus or - eehm no, have to walk then instead of going by bus, you would learn to care! Mr. Green

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 05:45:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Firebird* wrote:
If you have to run to a bus or - eehm no, have to walk then instead of going by bus, you would learn to care! Mr. Green

Uhm, there is a nice recent invention called the wristwatch - it allows a person to measure time and it can be fitted to the wrist! I may admit they're a tad expensive, but it's well worth it - after all you won't have to rely on unreliable time sources anymore!

But since I'm a half-swiss nitpicker I second the request for having the forums show the right time. Grüezi!

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 13:31:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server time fixed.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 13:37:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, now I can use this forum's time if I have to catch a bus instead of a) My clock's time b) My computers' time c) My watch's time d) My alarmclock's time

I always wanted this!!
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 13:46:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what you do with it but I like having accurate timestamps in my server's logs Razz
*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 14:53:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Yay, now I can use this forum's time if I have to catch a bus instead of a) My clock's time b) My computers' time c) My watch's time d) My alarmclock's time

Lol
a) my clock is in my bathroom - itīs more necessary there Razz
b) itīs Chipper... - I wouldnīt trust Wink
c) I never wear that "slavechain" at home - itīs something like unbound hair is a sign of freedom too Cool
d) only use to wake me up - cause I am sure I would forget to put it the alarmtime back to normal Mr. Green

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-04-23 18:45:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a) my clock is in my bathroom - itīs more necessary there

Bathroom, right...

Quote:
b) itīs Chipper... - I wouldn't trust

That's why some smart guy invented ntp

Quote:
c) I never wear that "slavechain" at home - itīs something like unbound hair is a sign of freedom too

People seem to be more concerned with "signs of freedom" rather that "freedom" ...
In other words: A wristwatch is a simple practical matter and has nothing to do with freedom or the lack of it.

Quote:
d) only use to wake me up - cause I am sure I would forget to put it the alarmtime back to normal

You only have to look at it, not change the time ... :/

Oh, and why do you always use a grave accent (a.k.a. "backtick") (`) instead of an apostrophe (')?
*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-04-24 11:02:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Quote:
a) my clock is in my bathroom - itīs more necessary there

Bathroom, right...

You ask why? Maybe I should add, that my bathroom looks like a South Seas laguna with shells, sand, candles and a lot of synthetic plants all around. Best location to completely forget time. Wink

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Quote:
b) itīs Chipper... - I wouldn't trust
That's why some smart guy invented ntp

Oh, never heard of that before! I only realize that my clock in computertower often shows a wrong time.
(Itīs a Windows 95 without internet; hehe Mr. Green)

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Quote:
c) I never wear that "slavechain" at home - itīs something like unbound hair is a sign of freedom too
People seem to be more concerned with "signs of freedom" rather that "freedom" ... In other words: A wristwatch is a simple practical matter and has nothing to do with freedom or the lack of it.

I agree with you, but Iīm not talking about visible signs. Iīm talking about personal feelings. Did you ever have long hair? For work itīs necessary to plait or pin up my hair too. Itīs even a practical matter like wearing a wristwatch. But I donīt have to like it, do I? I always enjoy the moment where I can get rid of my wristwatch and loose my hair. That really induces a feeling of freedom to me. Best thing to relax in a few seconds after hard work is to feel my hair hanging around my shoulders with a little wind in it and some small warm raindrops on my face. Smile

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Quote:
d) only use to wake me up - cause I am sure I would forget to put it the alarmtime back to normal

You only have to look at it, not change the time ... :/

My hi-fi system doesnīt show the time if music is on. Razz

But to be honest you are right, I could use other time sources, but I donīt want to. At least I hate if clocks show different times around me.

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Oh, and why do you always use a grave accent (a.k.a. "backtick") (`) instead of an apostrophe (')?
Sorry, I canīt find out what a.k.a. "backtick" means. Please translate it for me Exclamation So Iīm not sure if I understand it right. - The signs I use I have learned like this. Btw I use (ī) not (`). I think it is based on the german grammar. We use (") not (') to show something has another meaning or something like that, too. Same sign we use for direct speech in essays or quotes.
If you do handwriting the direction of the apostrophe is like this (ī) not like that ('), or very horrible that (`) . Thatīs how I learned it at school and I think it looks a lot better in the context of calligraphic aspects. So (ī) I use as normal apostrophe and until now I thought it would be the apostrophe on my keyboard while I always wondered what would be the use of the other sign ('). Laughing

Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-04-24 12:20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Firebird* wrote:
Sorry, I canīt find out what a.k.a. "backtick" means. Please translate it for me Exclamation So Iīm not sure if I understand it right. - The signs I use I have learned like this. Btw I use (ī) not (`). I think it is based on the german grammar. We use (") not (') to show something has another meaning or something like that, too. Same sign we use for direct speech in essays or quotes.
If you do handwriting the direction of the apostrophe is like this (ī) not like that ('), or very horrible that (`) . Thatīs how I learned it at school and I think it looks a lot better in the context of calligraphic aspects. So (ī) I use as normal apostrophe and until now I thought it would be the apostrophe on my keyboard while I always wondered what would be the use of the other sign ('). Laughing

Backtick is the programmer's term for a grave accent (`).

The use of an accent (doesn't matter which one - acute accent or grave accent) instead of a apostrophe is plain wrong, both in English and German. Wink If you think it doesn't look right than choose a font which pleases you more but don't use letters or marks of different meanings for it.
An accent is an accent (use it to write all those funny french words) and an apostrophe is an apostrophe (use it where letters are left out).

As a sidenote, beside being grammatically and typographically wrong, the acute accent without a letter under it is missing in many charsets and can cause you (as a programmer) a lot of troubles when converting data from one encoding to another.

(Some idiots even use big Os (Oh) instead of 0s (Zero) cause 'it looks better' and wonder why they get wrong results in their spreadsheet application...)
*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-04-24 19:33:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkmarder wrote:
The use of an accent (doesn't matter which one - acute accent or grave accent) instead of a apostrophe is plain wrong, ... don't use letters or marks of different meanings for it.
An accent is an accent (use it to write all those funny french words) and an apostrophe is an apostrophe (use it where letters are left out).

I agree, and I never wanted to use a wrong sign. But if you read my post heedful you saw that I said in handwriting (with pen on paper) what I do most time of the day, the apostrophe looks like that (ī). This (') doesn't exist and an accent looks complete different handwritten. Nobody ever define every key on a computerkeyboard to me and that's why I spuriously thought that the acute accent, how you call it, was the apostrophe and used it as an apostrophe. Btw the terms for the different accents I only know in French.

Quote:
... the acute accent without a letter under it is missing in many charsets and can cause you (as a programmer) a lot of troubles when converting data from one encoding to another.

I'm sorry if my nescience caused any trouble to you. Sad But I'm not a programmer and computerstuff is definetely not my business, so I have no clue what a charset is? Can you please explain it, cause I can't find any translation for it.

*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-05-06 09:35:39    Post subject: PDF Reply with quote

Why it isn't possible to post or PM-send pdf- data files?
I have a really funny one and wanted to share it with you. Wink

Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-05-07 19:50:54    Post subject: Re: PDF Reply with quote

*Firebird* wrote:
Why it isn't possible to post or PM-send pdf- data files?

fixed
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-05-23 16:37:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add 7-Zip files as allowed format for upload? And if so, would you also do it?

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-05-25 21:34:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
Would it be possible to add 7-Zip files as allowed format for upload? And if so, would you also do it?

yes and yes.
EGM<P>

PostPosted: 2008-06-01 15:49:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehm stm why cant i use the same link in my internet browser, but have to use the exact same one in the inf forum to get here ??

when i type the link it is not found just alot of free ftp software sites and related stuff, pretty wierd Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: