Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSYTEX 1.2 Full (Installer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midwinter

PostPosted: 2008-07-07 16:28:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that multiple textures per gun are not an option unless you create a new weapon "variant" (IIRC that was how the black AKMSU was done). I may be wrong though Wink
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-07-07 16:43:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're wrong Wink

You can just subclass the weapon, set MultiTextures[], and load it as an attachment ... The DE .50 does this.

Snakeye wrote:
Just had time to do some more testing - really fabulous work, just one thing that jumped into my face: the translucent mags showing the mag as always full are really destroying immersion for me (nearly as much as Inf weapons having no mag when thrown to the ground empty..). I know this is a pain in the ass to do properly, but unless you do it right it just looks wrong - I'm not even sure it is possible to do in Inf, though a multitexture linked to the number of rounds left might work, but if there is no way, leave then non-translucent.

I think it should be possible to do this ... ideally there should be two textures, a magazine texture, and a bullet texture ... And the bullet texture is repeated x times ...
I'll try and make this work...
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-07-08 22:32:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
2.: I never had a 551 SWAT in my hands, but I did shoot the FAS/STGW90 (Swiss Army standard issue 550)...

You lucky one! I would love to try that one.

Snakeye wrote:
...on a few occasions and I think the front and rear stock were a tad lighter and greenisher than in the current texture.

The army 550 has lighter green polymer and a light greenish receiver, the SG551/552 and the SG550sniper has in most cases a grey receiver and black polymer grips/stock (how it is in PsyTex).
I was playing with the thought to make a green optional skin, that may be something for a next release.

from left to right: 1) 551-black/grey 2) 552-black/grey 3) army550-green 3) 551-black/grey 4) 551-green.

Snakeye wrote:
Also would it be possible to implement the current non-diopter rear sights as night sights? Contrary to popular Inf player opinion the SIG550 series has a 4 position drum rear sights with 3 diopter positions and 1 "normal" iron sights (the one used in Inf), which can be used as night sights - the rear sight has two "glowing" dots and the front sight has one.

I can't tell if it is possible to make dots glowing in dark, but making dots as such might be possible.
Problem with the 551 rear sight in INF is, that it has only one texture part that is layed on all five sides of the sight (back, sides, front and top), but next time I do a very high resolution texture for the SG optimizing the rearsight texture for the rear so that it represents a sight. It will look strange from the side, but it will be a compromise anyway.

Snakeye wrote:
3.: Are multiple textures easily doable? I personally prefer the non-wood stock on a FAL - though I have to admit the wooden one now in-game looks terrific. Speaking of the FAL - isn't the metal a tad too flat black?

Not everything went to plan, my intention was to have an all black FAL with black polymer grips and stock, the L1A1 (actually no FAL as such) was the wood grips/stock version intended to be a second option, but the black one wasnt finished, so the wood took the place, a black skin option could see the light of day soon or later.

Snakeye wrote:
4.: M9 texture looks a tad too light to me. I've shot a standard 92FS on some occasions, and they're very flat black - don't know if the M9 used by the US Army has a different finish though.

They are indeed flat black and I agree the one in PsyTex could be slightly darker, though take various lighting condition into consideration, a flat black pistol can look brighter when reflecting enough light.

Snakeye wrote:
5.: In case the primary question to 3 is yes, would you consider doing a "paint job" M4? Some troops in the desert paint their M16s/M4s in tan because the black looks out of place - I always though those paint job M4s look nice, especially when a part of the color is already off - gives such a nice "used" look.

It was considered too, I even wanted to have a version with green/tan coloured heatshields and grips and maybe even stock, while the receiver remains original black. Lets see what the future brings.

Snakeye wrote:
That's all I can think of right now - thanks for the excellent work, I hope it's put on more servers supposing it doesn't cause troubles on COOP1.

It seems not to cause any problems so far.

Snakeye wrote:
Edit:
Just had time to do some more testing - really fabulous work, just one thing that jumped into my face: the translucent mags showing the mag as always full are really destroying immersion for me (nearly as much as Inf weapons having no mag when thrown to the ground empty..). I know this is a pain in the ass to do properly, but unless you do it right it just looks wrong - I'm not even sure it is possible to do in Inf, though a multitexture linked to the number of rounds left might work, but if there is no way, leave then non-translucent.

I thought it adds a realistic look to weapons and in my opinion it does... if you do not take the static bullet count into consideration. Carpetsmoker says it might be possible to make updatable bullets on a translucent magazine, lets see if this can be ever realised, I hope it can.

Last edited by Psychomorph on 2008-07-08 22:50:16; edited 3 times in total
Clutch

PostPosted: 2008-07-08 22:42:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, you have to run normal Infiltration to change settings because the settings won't stay if you change them in the PsyTex mod (They stay until you close it, then the next time you open it, the settings are back to what they were before).

PostPosted: 2008-07-08 22:57:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, every time you launch "PsyTex INF" Infiltration.ini is copied to Infiltration_psytex.ini and the Paths are modified.

If you want you can launch it manually from a shortcut, Infiltration_psytex.ini won't be overwritten that way:

Code:
${utdir}/System/UnrealTournament.exe -ini=Infiltration_psytex.ini -userini=InfiltrationUser.ini -log=Infiltration.log
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-09 06:04:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Yes, every time you launch "PsyTex INF" Infiltration.ini is copied to Infiltration_psytex.ini and the Paths are modified.

If you want you can launch it manually from a shortcut, Infiltration_psytex.ini won't be overwritten that way:

Code:
${utdir}/System/UnrealTournament.exe -ini=Infiltration_psytex.ini -userini=InfiltrationUser.ini -log=Infiltration.log

That's actually interesting, didn't notice it so far. Would it be possible to copy the changes done while playing with the Psytex version back to the original Infiltration.ini?

Psychomorph wrote:
The army 550 has lighter green polymer and a light greenish receiver, the SG551/552 and the SG550sniper has in most cases a grey receiver and black polymer grips/stock (how it is in PsyTex).
I was playing with the thought to make a green optional skin, that may be something for a next release.

Thanks for the detailed response - and for the pic. I agree the black/grey version looks exactly like the one in game.

Psychomorph wrote:
Not everything went to plan, my intention was to have an all black FAL with black polymer grips and stock, the L1A1 (actually no FAL as such) was the wood grips/stock version intended to be a second option, but the black one wasnt finished, so the wood took the place, a black skin option could see the light of day soon or later.

*gasp* L1A1 *gasp* - if by any chance you need any help getting a L1A1 coded don't hesitate to contact me - for some strange reason I have a unhealthy addiciton to this weapon and having one in Inf is one of my secret (well not anymore) desires. Also the L1A1 is a FAL, just not a metric one and semi auto only, but definetly a FAL - or as fans of British oldtimers put it: "It's not broken, it's British." Mr. Green

Thanks again and I keep my fingers crossed for a potential next release.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-07-09 20:35:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Snakeye wrote:

I think it should be possible to do this ... ideally there should be two textures, a magazine texture, and a bullet texture ... And the bullet texture is repeated x times ...
I'll try and make this work...

I tried to use ScriptedTextures:

Code:
function PlayFiring() /*{{{*/
{
  local ScriptedTexture mag;

Super.PlayFiring();

mag = new class'ScriptedTexture';
  if (mag == None)
  {
    Warn("G36K: Unable to create new ScriptedTexture for "$Name);
    return;
  }

mag.SourceTexture = Texture'g36kmag1';
  mag.NotifyActor = Self;

if (RoundsInClip == 29)
  {
    mag.ReplaceTexture(Texture'g36kmag2');
  }
  else if (RoundsInClip == 28)
  {
    mag.ReplaceTexture(Texture'g36kmag3');
  }
  else if (RoundsInClip == 27)
  {
    mag.ReplaceTexture(Texture'g36kmag1');
  }

MultiSkins[3] = mag;
} /*}}}*/

According to the docs, with ScriptedTextures it should be possible to repeat the same texture a number of times ... But unfortunatly this code crashes my system, I shoot a round and boom ... No error or nothing ... According to the UnrealWiki @ BeyondUnreal more people have this problem.

So, a more simple solution:
Code:
function PlayFiring() /*{{{*/
{
  Super.PlayFiring();

if (RoundsInClip == 31)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag1';
  else if (RoundsInClip == 30)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag2';
  else if (RoundsInClip == 29)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag3';
  else if (RoundsInClip == 28)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag4';
  else if (RoundsInClip == 27)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag5';
  else if (RoundsInClip == 0)
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'INF_Bonus.INF_G36KTex1_empty';
  else
    MultiSkins[3] = Texture'INF_Bonus.INF_G36KTex1';
} /*}}}*/

Which works ...

Psychomorph, how difficult/time-consuming is it to add/remove a bullet from the texture? We could use 31 textures, or less (i.e. one for 0-5 rounds, one for 10-15 rounds, etc) ... It's up to you ...

Snakeye wrote:
Carpetsmoker wrote:

Code:

That's actually interesting, didn't notice it so far. Would it be possible to copy the changes done while playing with the Psytex version back to the original Infiltration.ini?

Yeah, this is possible, open ${utdir}/PsyTex/psytex.sh and add at the bottom:

Code:
sed "s|PsyTex/System|Infiltration/System|" ${newconfig} > $(dirname ${config})/tmp.ini
sed "s|PsyTex/Textures/Camos|Infiltration/Textures/Camos|" $(dirname ${config})/tmp.ini > ${config}

Oh, btw, you're right about the "Press any key", only ENTER works ... I added this at 4-5AM Very Happy
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 06:08:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, glad it's actually possible. Just out of coding curiosity:
Would it be possible to make an array/struct containing the texture (references?) and using the number of rounds left to indicate into the array? I think smoketrail does something similar with the smoke puff textures - there are 9(?) different ones in an array and a random numer indicates into the array. Modified for the mag textures it would roughly look like this:
Code:

MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag[RoundsInClip];

defaultproperties
{
Texture'g36kmag[0]=NoRoundsTex
Texture'g36kmag[1]=1RoundsTex
Texture'g36kmag[2]=2RoundsTex
}

Might save a bit on the if-elses - if it actually works..

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 09:28:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, using an array is better, but defaultproperties is not needed (It sucks) ... Also, there is an syntax error on just about every line of code in your example Very Happy

Above code was just proof-of-concept ... I first need Psy to make textures anyway ... He's working on faces now, which should arrive any moment now...
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 09:44:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Also, there is an syntax error on just about every line of code in your example Very Happy

That's why I used the qualifier "roughly". Also which are them syntax errors? I assume not being allowed to start a variable name with a number might qualify..

And whats so bad about defaultproperties?

*Firebird*

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 10:46:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for a lot of questions, but I can't follow you anymore:

It would be helpful to have a picture of a gun, where is shown, what is what. I mean grip, stock, rear sight, iron sight, heatshield, diopter position etc. Cause for a lot of this things I don't even get an adequate translation.

Snakeye wrote:
Carpetsmoker wrote:
f you want you can launch it manually from a shortcut, Infiltration_psytex.ini won't be overwritten that way:
Code: ${utdir}/System/UnrealTournament.exe -ini=Infiltration_psytex.ini -userini=InfiltrationUser.ini -log=Infiltration.log
Carpetsmoker wrote:
Yeah, this is possible, open ${utdir}/PsyTex/psytex.sh and add at the bottom: Code:
sed "s|PsyTex/System|Infiltration/System|" ${newconfig} > $(dirname ${config})/tmp.ini
sed "s|PsyTex/Textures/Camos|Infiltration/Textures/Camos|" $(dirname ${config})/tmp.ini > ${config}

For what, do I need this? I mean which settings would change or stay? What's the effect in game?

Snakeye wrote:
The command windows that are opened by the batch files claim to be closable by "pressing any key" - well, apparently "Space" doesn't count as key - "Enter" works though.
Carpetsmoker wrote:
Oh, btw, you're right about the "Press any key", only ENTER works ... I added this at 4-5AM

If you are talking about that strange little window with text in it, what appears if you gonna open PsyTex:
I don't need any key to close it. - First times I tried to, but then I often got something like a gamecrash. Now I changed my tactic into "wait half a minute longer" and everything works fine by itself.
If this is not the thing you are talking about:
Tell me what a "batch file" is, cause my dictionary is rubbish then. Mr. Green

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 11:46:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Firebird* wrote:
1. It would be helpful to have a picture of a gun, where is shown, what is what. I mean grip, stock, rear sight, iron sight, heatshield, diopter position etc. Cause for a lot of this things I don't even get an adequate translation.

Can do, but I'm still at work so it's gonna take a while - perhaps one of those lazy people on holiday beats me doing it. I'd also suggest to put this in an own thread in the off-topic section, perhaps some kind of unofficial weapon question clone.

*Firebird* wrote:
2.For what, do I need this? I mean which settings would change or stay? What's the effect in game?

If I got it right by now the Psytex version takes over the settings from standard inf at every start and doesn't save settings that changed while playing the Psytex version. So if you'd change some key assignment in the Psytex version it gets lost at next startup. The fix Carpet suggested copys the settings of the Psystex version over the normal inf settings so the changes done don't get lost. I hope I got that right.

*Firebird* wrote:
If you are talking about that strange little window with text in it, what appears if you gonna open PsyTex:
I don't need any key to close it. - First times I tried to, but then I often got something like a gamecrash. Now I changed my tactic into "wait half a minute longer" and everything works fine by itself.
Tell me what a "batch file" is, cause my dictionary is rubbish then. Mr. Green

Yupp, that window. I usually close it AFTER quitting the game.
A batch file is basically a file with the .bat-ending in DOS/Windows environment. It usually has text in it, which contains commands that are executed one after the other. For example for my mutators to compile manually I had to:
-delete the old .u File
-open a command window
-switch to f:\ut\system
-call ucc with some special settings regarding .ini files
Since this get's boring fast I wrote a small batch file that does one step after the other every time I double klick it.

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 13:59:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if you'd change some key assignment in the Psytex version it gets lost at next startup. The fix Carpet suggested copys the settings of the Psystex version over the normal inf settings so the changes done don't get lost. I hope I got that right.

No, key assignments are done in InfiltrationUser.ini Infiltration.ini ... Since psytex.sh doesn't touch this file, you should have no problems with key assignments.
System settings are stored in Infiltration.ini, such as resolution, sound volume, etc.

Quote:
Tell me what a "batch file" is, cause my dictionary is rubbish then.

You have an older version, you and psy had problems with starting psytex, you had a "black window appear for a second and then disappear", I added this to assist in debugging/reporting problems.

Quote:
And whats so bad about defaultproperties?

First of all, all the stuff in DefauktProperties is parsed by a pretty bad ad-hoc parser, for example this works:
var="value"

But this doesn't:
var = "value"

And this doesn't work either:
/*var="value"*/

Multiline comments are ugly anyway, if I put the around my RCS id's (i.e. $Carpetsmoker ... at top of M4Mut) then the comiler will crash, wtf?

But the main reason is that I think it's clumsy, for example, I come accross a variable in the G36K, what does that do? Let's check the docs Very Happy oh wait, there are none, so lets check INFc_Weapon ... So at the top is the variable decleration, usually with a line of description, but I need to go down to the bottom of the file to see the default value ... :-/

The reason defaultvalues exists is so that they can be changed easily in subclasses and UnrealEd, but think there are more elegant ways to solve this, for example:

var int ugh;

And then in the subclass something like:

var int ugh super;

super being a keyword, and functioning the same as defaultproperties.

Quote:
That's why I used the qualifier "roughly". Also which are them syntax errors? I assume not being allowed to start a variable name with a number might qualify..

MultiSkins[3] = Texture'g36kmag[RoundsInClip];

Missed the quote at end

Texture'g36kmag[0]=NoRoundsTex

Should be

g36kmag[0]=Texture'NoRoundsTex'

As for starting a variable name with a number, I don't know, but it works fine in most languages...
Clutch

PostPosted: 2008-07-10 18:11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with convention. Like in Java, you're supposed to start variable names with a lowercase letter; no numbers. Capitalize the first letter of any subsequent words and you can place numbers anywhere in the variable name as long as it's not the first character (roundsInMag2Tex).

Conventions are useful, though. It's not just being picky. For instance, in Java, class names should be capitalized so that when you come across one in the code, you can easily tell it's a class and not a variable (or anything else) without returning to the top of the code.

PostPosted: 2008-07-12 11:28:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
*gasp* L1A1 *gasp* - if by any chance you need any help getting a L1A1 coded don't hesitate to contact me - for some strange reason I have a unhealthy addiciton to this weapon and having one in Inf is one of my secret (well not anymore) desires. Also the L1A1 is a FAL, just not a metric one and semi auto only, but definetly a FAL - or as fans of British oldtimers put it: "It's not broken, it's British." Mr. Green

The texture of the FAL in the mod is the L1A1, but the one with wooden stock and grips. I heared soldiers could mod it fullauto, which was foridden, but we do not follow guidelines, don't we? Very Happy

Adding a polymer FAL or L1A1 could be possible as a mutator.

Carpetsmoker wrote:
Psychomorph, how difficult/time-consuming is it to add/remove a bullet from the texture? We could use 31 textures, or less (i.e. one for 0-5 rounds, one for 10-15 rounds, etc) ... It's up to you ...

In case of the G36K magazines you only see 15 bullets on each side, because the same texture is used for both sides and even then, you see only 9 of them when the magazine is in the weapon, because the rest of the magazine is hidden behind the magwell, but I guess those hidden 6 bullets still need to be seen when the magazine is dropped.

As for the SG551, most of the mag is outside the weapon, but actually it is a 20 rnd magazine model we have there, so making a proper transparent magazine mod requires to fix the SG to 20 rnd's.
That way we would have only 10 textures for each bullet, while the mag texture would be updated every second shot logically, same for the G36K of course.

In case of the P90, we see only 25 bullets on top, but we also see the double stacked bullets on the side. Because the magazine is so well seen on the P90, I think if would be worth it to make all the 50 textures.

When you make these textures do you need all the same original texture (with all other elements on it, like the weapon parts, if any), but with each texture having just the magazine count modified?

----------------

Btw, I think it would be cool if you could have both, the original INF and PSYTEX having own setting that are saved for each own. That way those who play on the unmodded XploD server and on the modded Co-op servers would have the original faces and camos saved for XploD and the custom camos and faces for PSYTEX. There would be no need to change the stuff everytime you switch servers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: