Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planning OFP Coop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeep

PostPosted: 2008-02-04 18:38:08    Post subject: Planning OFP Coop Reply with quote

How about we plan some OFP Coop?
Who has Operation Flashpoint and the addon Resistance?

Suggestions go here: :p
Alo_08[JgKdo]
INFanterist

PostPosted: 2008-02-05 16:07:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why OFP?

PostPosted: 2008-02-06 02:16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i was talking about it with Psych a while ago and he would like to try it too sometime. So if more are interested we can plan a weekend/day maybe. I don't know which server we'd go to but there are other OFP coop servers to play.

Naturally, if you don't own the game it's not for you :p
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-02-06 05:31:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OPF ... Can't say I really like it, but I woudn't mind trying a game ...
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-02-06 06:00:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Ghost Recon co-op the other days and man, that was just awesome.
There are some team players out there, servers (non dedicated) like "Tactical Platoons" and "Bad Old Brothers" were just f.ing awesome missions.

It is a good way to get a rough clue about Ground Branch, while Ground Branch will surely exceed Ghost Recon on almost every level.

I set Operation Flashpoint up and even was on the [VS] co-op server (alone), but the game feels so damn ugly and clumsy, not sure if I can jump on that horse, but the concept is still good. I just hope they will get Armed Assault 2 right.
zeep

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 02:06:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played OFP coop for 2 or 3 hours. It was really good. The way i remembered OFP was indeed clumsy but now it's not that bad at all! I took the time to set up my keys right and i got good instructions over at BI forums how to get setup with mods / addons.

I'm sure when you guys get this game setup we can have a blast online.

When i joined the CIA server i informed the admin i was new and he tried some easier missions with me. We played a mission where we (just 2 of us) had to rescue a general(?) and it was the best OFP experience yet for me. Let me try to capture the mood for you.

The Mission
Our point of insertion is about 2 clicks from a town behind a hill. We gear and ammo up and get in our jeep. I'm armed with a M16 and a LAW rocket launcher, my co-player is in command. After some reconaissance it became clear that there were additional enemy troops incoming from two headings to fortify the town.

Our first target is a jeep carrying 4 troops, they are incoming from some miles away. We head to a point on the road where we can conceal ourself in some forrest and wait for the jeep. Once it passes we open fire and kill the 4 troops inside.
Then, once the kills are confirmed we quickly get in the car and drive towards point B where a BMP and truck carrying many more troops are coming. I hide near some bushes and arm myself with the rocket launcher. Before too long i hear the BMP coming and then also visual contact when it appears on the road on the horizon.
I wait until it's driving towards me, (my position is near a turn in the road), then i fire. The BMP is destroyed.
The truck appears on the horizon, it slows down near the wreckage and steers away from it. I aim and fire again, but miss..

The explosion of the BPM has alarmed troops in the town and they are coming in from the right. While i reload a LAW my co-player takes out 3 of the enemy soldiers who were flanking. My second shot hits the target and it explodes. But right before the explosion 2 soldiers got out and ran for cover behind some trees.

I fall back because they are firing to my position and my co-player is firing at them, succesfully drawing fire away from me. Once i reach a safe location i prone and engage the enemy again, succesfully taking out the remaining soldier.

Now we head towards the town. The enemy knows that we're coming but they are running low on reinforcements so they're probably waiting and hiding in town. We creep in, sprinting from cover to cover, from house to house. We cover eachother at every move. My co-player orders a Hold position and moves behind some houses, near a street. He has visual contact with 3 enemy soldiers and the hostage. He engages the troops and i run for a flanking position and also check the area for other enemies. I see the smoketrails of the destroyed vehicles rise to the sky behind us..

The enemies are taken out but the hostage moved between some houses it seems. My teammate approaches one of the buildings and radios an All clear. I come out from my concealment and cross the road, heading into the street where he is. Suddenly i hear weapons firing, my teammate is killed. Now before me is a fence surrounding a garden and behind it a house. His last location was behind that house. I creep to the fence, trying to see through the bushes, hoping to be lucky enough to spot the enemy. Then shots are fired from the other side of the fence, more uphill than i was looking. I die.

Afterthoughts
First, i must say that the AI is considerably better than i expected. One of the mods that i have installed also has significant AI tweaks, and it's noticable. There is no bot-railgun aim, no dumb bots standing still when fired upon. They behave smart and believable.

Many improvements, graphically, audible, AI and addons are from the FDF mod. Finnish defence force. It is also possible to make the game even better looking with high res textures etc. (I didn't do this because i like a smooth game over a high poly one). But i think it looks good enough. Certainly not worse than Infiltration.

Installation
Here is a step by step of what to download and install. Everything in order. Basically it's OFP + Resistance. The FDF mod + an update. Then some minor addons for weapons and camo's i think.
Also, this is the CIA thread at BIS forums.

All in all it took me about an hour to get everything setup. I hope some of you guys want to give it a shot too so we can do some good coop!!
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 04:33:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an OPF installation (With all those mods) for months, never played it because I didn't really like it and removed it last week ...

After such a good salespitch, how can I not give it another chance ... Guess I'll reinstall ...

---

Oh, and you've got to love linkrot ...

FDFMod 1.3
http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Finnish_Defence_Forces;39971#Download

FDFMod 1.4 WW2 Update
http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Finish_Defence_Forces;52246#Download

I can't find fdfmissions.rar anywhere ...
zeep

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 11:37:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're reinstalling! I couldn't find fdfmissions.rar anywhere too, but fortunately these mission files are not so big (<100Kb mostly) and they download from the server.

The mission i played is attached. Copy it to the MPMissions folder. I also copied it to Operation Flashpoint\Missions\FDF Mod and it works from there too if you want to play an offline single mission.

Now if we can get Psych to gear up too, the three of us may just get that hostage out!

*Another addon i have installed*
http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=7782

These are for very nice skies. Real moving clouds etc.

2-5_Cooperative.Eden.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2-5_Cooperative.Eden.rar
 Filesize:  6.07 KB
 Downloaded:  1336 Time(s)

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 15:35:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Zeep.

After Chuckus' thread on BUF few months ago I set up OPF plus all the mods, so I am ready to try it actually.

It was a real pain to find working links for the FDF files though.
zeep

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 16:05:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Yes on the CIA homepage they list even more addons but i haven't installed those and so far i haven't had a problem on their server so..
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-03-29 17:36:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have everything reinstalled, I played a bit on the CIA server, but there was no one there ...

I had some problem connecting to other servers because I didn't have certain add-ons, unlike INF/UT you can't just download them from the server :(
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-03-31 13:05:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a fun game zeep and Carpetsmoker. Messy and clumsy, but the kind of co-op tac-sim style I like the most.

As said, the BFS community did a Ghost Recon session last friday, they might do it again and maybe this time even the developers will be around.

Thread with info, but note that server may change, so just check the thread out friday or near friday. Also if they speak about evening, it is most probably the US american evening, a bit difficult for us euros, but see for yourself.

As for mods:
ZJJ names a mod called "SOTOPlaster v4 mod", never tried it, will search for links. She also says "Frostbite" and "YOTM" are on server, no idea what it is honestly, but will check it out.
zeep

PostPosted: 2008-03-31 13:41:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had fun too. Planning attacks, tactical advancements etc. really cool.
In-game something like Reportdirection would help a lot indeed.. For me, the best parts were when it was just a small crowd. I don't like it much when it's so crowded. If we had more time last night, the 3 of us, i'm sure we would have figured out a better way to rescue the hostages and attack the enemy base.

I will see if there are easier ways to 'bind' contacts, possibly with heading. That way at least we can communicate easier, and save eachothers ass when 10 enemy troops are attacking us from behind.

Today i installed the ArmA demo, i couldn't resist. It runs very laggy, too bad, because the movement mechanics and weapon handling are a lot more Inf-like. ArmA is well worth another try when i get a dual core >3ghz pc. My current 2.4 cpu is just too weak.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2008-04-01 21:27:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was a fun game zeep and Carpetsmoker. Messy and clumsy, but the kind of co-op tac-sim style I like the most.

Agreed.

One huge plus for OPF are the maps, in INF almost all maps just plain suck, they're UT maps with slightly different textures.

Quote:
If we had more time last night, the 3 of us, i'm sure we would have figured out a better way to rescue the hostages and attack the enemy base.

The closest we came to rescueing the hostages was shooting one of them O.o
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-02 04:57:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interessting ShackTac Armed Assault session. Watch the videos.

http://dslyecxi.com/articles/arma_airborne.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: