Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your background story for INF COOP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckus

PostPosted: 2008-04-20 09:10:37    Post subject: What's your background story for INF COOP Reply with quote

to keep the immersion deep, I like to mentally edit the background stories for maps in order to justify having a contemporary armed force in a futuristic sci fi atmosphere. They can't have discovered it because the level of technoligcal sophistication is anachronistic when compared to level of advancement of the weapons. it would have to be that we somehow had a HUGE leap in travel techonology but nothing else.

Time travel would be the easy answer but I usually stay away from that. Since most missions start with a crashed ship, I assume that mankind has somehow been given or found technology that allows interplanetary travel.

The worlds militaries collaborate on several expeditions to test out these ships and try minor traveling. Unknown to them there's a whole world of planets and races that are in conflict and alliances and we just appear out of nowhere and start messing things up, namely pissing off the skarrjj. Mankind finds itself injecting itself into conflicts and wars it doesn't belong to and I guess the big story progresses from there.

however COOP is the starting point of that legacy. The equivalent of The first explorers reaching the new world and conquering except here it's the primitive natives reaching europe and fighting against their large stone castles and catapults with bows and arrows. Keep in mind INF coop can't logically be much beyond the point of first initial contact as within a few short years, we would have captured skarj technology and started to adapt it for human use (and possibly improved some aspects). An example of this would be energy shields. after one succesful mission, Humans would be able to mass produce at least effective armor against skarj weapons. they'd figure out how t use taridium and then old school bullet weapons would be obsolete. So INF COOP sits in the nice little time period right when we first being intergalactic space travel to the point where succesful missions being to yield technological breakthroughs in warfare.

Another scenario is that a similar race to humans finds us and shares their technology with us. This other race is exemplafied by the traditional Unreal Humans. Together, they embark on peaceful expeditions but keep crashing on planets teeming with skarjj Wink However this has a logic hole as if they shared space travel they probably would have shared weapons as well.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-04-22 06:07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never actually thought about a big background story, as Unreal and NaPali have their own background story and most custom mission packs don't really allow for a consistent one - one seems pretty much inspired my startgate, others seem to follow the original Unreal storylines.

So since I'm a good soldier I don't ask why I'm there, I just try to get through it without getting wasted (too much). I also don't see many problems with contemporary weapons and space travel. Startgate has a nice explanation for it and to be honest infantry weapons didn't change too much in the last 50 years and some weapon designs are around for nearly 100 years and will remain in use (perhaps not service) for quite a while - the M2 Browning MG, 1911A1, Browning HP are around for about that period, AKM, FN FAL, G3 have been in use for about 50 years too - and the M16 design is getting aged too. Even newer weapons often use older designs - SIG550 series use basically a AKM system, the M9 is said to be based on the Walther P38 (not sure of that though). What big change in weapon technology is to expect? Yeah rayguns and lasers all have that futuristic touch, but I doubt any of those will be available anytime soon - or even doable at all, given the ammount of energy you'd have to store. Projectile weapons have served the mankind since it's start, starting as bow and arrow, evolving to crossbows and finally with the advent of chemical engineering came firearms. I wouldn't wonder too much if you'd see AKMs in use for the next 50 to 100 years, so I guess having one aboard a space ship doesn't really brake my immersion.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: