Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas & Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EGM<P>

PostPosted: 2008-04-27 15:46:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the game would be very realistic, we would be very dead by now Very Happy Twisted Evil
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2008-04-27 18:45:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Toad's mutator TrueScale has a climbing feature, so if you can't jump, you can still climb (using the same jump key), maybe you guys can extract the code from it and have it as a separate climbing mutator (with credits to the original coder of course)?
I would like to be able to climb on things that are even beyond the jumping height, imagine how usefull that woulkd be.
If I remember correctly True Scale has a very low forward directed leap (realistic), while the heights are beaten with the climb, that is exactly how I want it and dammit, this is allready there, just extract the code form the original mutator with credits and use it dammit.

Thanks for the info, didn't know it.

TrueScale link:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1329041#post1329041

But when will people learn that feature creep is a disease? What's the point of stuffing 100 unrelated features into a single piece of software? Like IWE, always the same nonsense.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 06:40:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've played a lot yesterday and had time to sleep over the events, and here's how I see what changed and what didn't using the new bulk settings.

What's changed? I got killed 33% of the times in Solo because of my lack of backup - granted at three deaths that's not an overly significant statistic, but luckily EGM joined shortly enough after me for some scout/sniper fun. The situation that got me killed was exactly the kind why I carried a secondary - two Skaarj (one was unexpected) rushing me with a half empty FAL mag, the FAL ran dry after downing the first and I switched to my M9 getting off 5 rounds before dieing a horribe and painful death. Even counting that switching to the Uzi I used to carry with my FAL takes a tad longer than QAing to the M9 it would easily have been sufficient time to empty half of the Uzis 32rd mag into that Skaarj scumbag - but you don't hear me not complaining. After all I'm pretty used to dieing, so a few more times won't hurt.

Once people joined it was pretty straightforward COOP - as I'm used to it since I started. I never ran dry (big chance of it when I carry 15 30rd mags..). I carry less nades - 2 M67s and 0 M18s. I mean, yeah, M18s are good to show people the way, but at the cost of a few mags? Not for me Sir. Guess I'll get used to saying: "We took the door where the red smoke would have been.".

When I think of it there was one more change: Alo kept making snide remarks on TS - now that guy should have become a comedian, if he isn't already. The rest remained pretty much the same. We moved around together, we shot Skaarj and Krall (I even managed to spare a few rounds to hunt rabbits Mr. Green) and after enough of the hardcore tac players joined they switched to COOP1 - to be honest I too think teams exceeding 6-7 people don't play well on COOP. But the point is, since the tac hardcores were on the other server anyway - would you even have noticed anyone playing rambo style on COOP2?

Don't get me wrong, I suppose the above may read like one big whine of a frustrated guy - which it isn't, since my gameplay changed little enough; my point is and remains that you can play hardcore tac without forcing the new bulk system on non-hardcore tacs AND you still can rush and piss off the hardcore tac group with your M60 and go rambo with the current settings (please don't ask me to prove this, first because I dislike using MGs and second because I don't like to hamper other peoples game..).

Oh, I also missed Crazy and Firebird - I hope I see you guys today or tomorrow Very Happy.

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 09:17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
My point is and remains that you can play hardcore tac without forcing the new bulk system on non-hardcore tacs.

Actually, we "hardcore tac's" don't need this bulk system at all, as most of us even did not adjust their loadouts for the new bulk, because we always had our loadouts kept in a believable state.
I personally appreciate the change, because the slightly slowed down movement when geared up is realistic and feels that way for me, however, I still disagree with the current state of this bulk mutator.
Points are:
- if I add another pistol to my current M1 loadout (a tinny pistol), I suddenly become heavier like I packed another 10kg to my backpack, additional 4kg of a loaded rifle should not have such a drastical change in stamina on the small scale aswell (on the large scale, yes).
- I appreciate the slightly slowed down movement due to all the stuff, but after few minutes of jogging I am almost walking, real life soldiers are supposed to slowly jog fully packed several miles and they usually have much more stuff packed than my Inf soldier.

I know that things will never be exactly realistic in Inf, but I hate it if things are less effective compared to it's real life counter part. I hope the bulk system will be improved more soon. If you have ideas how that can be made, go on.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 10:32:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Actually, we "hardcore tac's" don't need this bulk system at all, as most of us even did not adjust their loadouts for the new bulk, because we always had our loadouts kept in a believable state.

I had the impression at least those I see regularly usually carried secondary weapons, but I may also be wrong here. If I take a look what I changed the differences are quite "small".
Now I carry an AR with 15 mags, M9 with 5 mags, 2 Frags, 1 Claymore, 2 Breaching charges.
What I carred in additon before was 5 more mags for the AR, a secondary (SMG/Shotgun) with 20mags - mainly for Solo and for a bit of variation; I sure as hell won't play with a SMG or Shottie as primary - 6 more Frags, assorted M18s (20 red, 10 of every other color - basically to mark the way), 4 Clays (mainly for blocking doors), 8 breaching charges. You may notice, that except for the secondary weapon and the "utility" loads my loadout remained the same.

To add a bit of perspective here's what a 101st LRP (basically what the Airborne called LRRPs) carried into a 2-3 day reconaissance mission. It's taken out of a book I recently read, which was written by a guy who served in Nam. Note that LRP/LRRP usually consisted of 6-man teams tasked to do recon work. So all the follwing is intended to allow the team to repel an enemy force when they are detected until they can get extracted; also note that LRP teams usually had heavy Helicopter Gunship and artillery support.
- 1 M16 with 20 20rd mags (usually loaded with 18-19rds)
- 6 Frag grenades
- 1 CS grenade
- 1 WP(white phosphorous) grenade
- 10 M79 rounds (40mm grenades - and yes he didn't even carry one..)
- 1 Block of C4
- 1 Claymore
- 2 Smoke grenades
That's in addition to food, water, clothing etc. they carried. This would have a bulk of about 57 in current Inf COOP. If you compare it to my current loadout you'll find mine has a pistol, a tad more 5.56 ammo and a lot less grenades.

Anyway I completely agree with you that the stamina effect comes too sudden. I suppose adding a pistol to a 48 bulk loadout shouldn't make you crawl - I guess the main problem here is, as Stinkmarder pointed out, Inf bulk takes only integer, so making smaller bulks is pretty hard - and I suppose changing the complete bulk/stamina system would be a bit too hard. What I could imagine working (keep in mind I have the same knowledge of Unrealscript and Inf Bulksystem as a newborn pig) would be to take the bulk sum and divide it by a given value to scale it down. This way you could make realistic loadouts (with upscaled and better balanced bulk values for the items of course) which might add up to 100?, 200? bulk and be divided by 2?, 4? to scale down to final value, which would then end up being around the 50 limit. So if you would use a bulk divider of 4 you could make 0.25 bulks possible.

To illustrate with a small example:
M9 with 5 mags is now 10 bulk. (1x5 for the M9, 5x1 for the mags)
Now we use a scaling of 4, which makes the M9 1x20 bulk, we take 3 bulk for the tiny little M9 mags (5x3=15), which adds to a sum of 35 bulk, which is then divided by 4, resulting in 8.75, which probably will be truncated to 8, although a rounding function would result in the more appropriate 9. That way you could get a better "resolution" of the bulk units; probably a stupid idea..

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Crazy_Karnickel

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 11:17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
Oh, I also missed Crazy and Firebird - I hope I see you guys today or tomorrow Very Happy.

Thx MK - Will be there today...

Some Ideas:

- I don't detect the sence in non-disappearing soldier bodys while the monster bodys disappear... In my opinion all bodys should disappear cause I think it would slow down the server if all bodys (human and mosnter) would stay - and just this would be realistic. (Futhermore I don't like to walk over hills of bodys...)

- For more realism it would be nice if the dropped amo is able to explode. I know that this is possible - and the new bulk system avoid "mapquaking" explosions caused by thousands of frags and amo... Maybe this implys to adjust the TK ban 'cause it's easy to kill the whole team at once accidentally! Shocked

Statements?
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 13:58:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some compromises to fix the bulk thing. My suggestion would be some items to be of zero bulk value, while others not.
The first primary weapon, the first pistol and two hand grenades having zero bulk, while other additional weapons, pistols & grenades and ammunition are all of appropriate bulk value.

I also would like to have an auto stamina charge feature. That means no matter how low your health and stamina is, hitting the sprint key will let you move at 100% sprint speed for the first 2 - 3 seconds, after which you get back to the appropriate sprint speed, you could do that only one or two times, after which you need to wait some time untill that feature is usable again.
Biene_Maja

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 14:38:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Psycho: This feature seems not to be realistic to me. (Ausnahme: es dauert dafür länger sich auszuruhen für volle Stamina und nicht Knopf drücken, fertig. Oder soll das Feature die Einnahme eines Aufputschmittels simulieren?) Sorry for german but I can't translate this! Perhaps someone could do it for me?

The climbing mutator is more realistic in my opinion.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 15:40:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In real life you can take all your remaining energy and run faster for few seconds, even if you're totally tired, in INF you're like bound to the ground, I find that unrealistic.
Of course, if your stamina, or health is close to zero, than this should not be possible, but beeing tired (30% stamina) is no reason not to be able to make a very short sprint (maybe not full speed, but still).

Stinkmarder wrote:
But when will people learn that feature creep is a disease? What's the point of stuffing 100 unrelated features into a single piece of software? Like IWE, always the same nonsense.

Because it was meant as a big improvement (which it is, my most favourite mutator), not just a climbing mutator. What sense does it make to split all the features into X mutators?
Biene_Maja

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 21:21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, in reality I would throw my stuff and jump then...

I understand your explanation. You want say in real life adrenalin (own or token) will give you enough power for a moment. I'm right?
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-28 22:11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat similar, but generally if you are tired and still have some ressources of energy, you can use it, for a short time, but you do.

I know how I do it when I am jogging, after about an hour of jogging I'm plain dead tired, but I accelerate to a sprint the last 50 meters, I am tired as hell, but I have enough power to give my last best, I might be not as fast as when I start fully fit, but I am hell of fast, after that I'm drained, but after a short break I can focus enough energy to do another sprint again (I use to do the interval jog/sprint thing often).

Of course, total fatigue, near collapse is where you are simply off, that is simulated in INF by an almost empty or non present stamina bar, but as long you have about 30% stamina, you should be able to do a short sprint and after a break another one and another one and another.
If you do enough resting in real life and in INF, your stamina "bar" refills and you repeat the actions, only difference is, that in real life you can not recover fully in few minutes, your energy level goes down constantly untill you need to rest for hours, while in INF you can get your 100% back (if not injured), but that's another story.
Biene_Maja

PostPosted: 2008-04-29 13:49:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but the mutator should have a limit of health. It's not realistic that you can make a big jump when you're heavy wounded. You know want I mean? With a heavy damage you possibly can leave the danger zone but not so fast like undamaged.
It seems not realistic to me when you have 1 - 5 health points and make a jump over 3 metres...
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-29 14:08:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Slightly lower health and stamina should not be a problem, but if health and/or stamina is almost near end, than of course, you can not jump.

Generally in real life things are more flexible, while in INF they often are static. I would define two aspects of stamina, Intuitive and Intentional.

Intuitive
Your movement speed adjusts automatically to your state of fitness as it feels comfortable. That is the case in INF (the less stamina, the slower you move, conserving the last energy you have, it just should last much longer in INF than it does now).

Intentional
Even if it is comfortable to jog slower when tired, you still can start jogging faster (I would do it in INF by returning to the fastest jog speed when holding the "movement button").
You would lose stamina faster and you would drop to the "intuitive jog" after few seconds, but fact is you could use that action whenever you see fit (a tactical option).

The same applies to the sprint, but since the sprint is a hold button action only, the full pace sprint would be used always automatically, which shouldn't be a problem, since you use the sprint only if you really need to sprint and the automatical drop to the "intuitive sprint" would prevent "total fatigue" anyway.
That way you would have much better chances to escape that incoming rocket, or that grenade to your feet even if youre tired, as you would do in real life (if you are not close to collapse).

If you have about 10% stamina left and/or have low health, than you are close to "total fatigue", which not only has slow movement speed in total, but also removes the ability to use the "intentional movement", as it does in real life.
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 14:52:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkmarders TODO list

- Climbing mutator
- Flashlight fix

Very Happy
Biene_Maja

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 18:35:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

- GPS-Mutator for female players...

What's wrong with the flashlight??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: