Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-29 01:32:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you don't have to use the radar if you don't want to, where is the problem that I could use it, because I need it?
Guys if it would be possible I really want you to have to walk around one day of your life in a females-moccasin-of-orientation Exclamation You would be shocked if you realize that it is possible to get lost in the middle of the night on the marketplace of your hometown, like it happend to me. Mr. Green So the main problem is my lack of orientation not the communication. Btw the How-to-find-the-way-communication most time doesn't work, because if you are in a battle there is often no time to answer in detail or guide someone and with only the point of the compass I'm not able to find the right way. Furthermore it happens to me more than one time in spite of radar, that I was searching around more than half an hour while asking for the way with no utilizable answer. That some vet comes to get me, is most time a nice dream. Sometimes it happens that's true, and sometimes somebody stops his own play for guiding me.To be honest I like that, but I don't want people to always stuck in game, or have to wait a long time, just because I can't find the way by my own. I like to play in a team, but how to do if I can't find it anymore Question
And while talking about communication and if the answering works or not: I still wait for the answers to my first questions Exclamation
WHY the radar is removed Question And why all changes on both servers Question
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Biene_Maja



Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 79
Location: Paderborn, Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-29 13:56:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar problems like Fire. And there is another one. I have problems with right and left. Sometimes it works fine to me and sometimes you say take the left way and then I hear a few minutes later: Take the other left way because I take the wrong way... Rolling Eyes
It's like to say to a blind man find your way without your blind man's cane.
Perhaps there is a way to give us our cane back. Please!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-29 23:04:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biene_Maja wrote:
... I have problems with right and left. Sometimes it works fine to me and sometimes you say take the left way and then I hear a few minutes later: Take the other left way because I take the wrong way... Rolling Eyes

Yes Biene. I know that very well, too. It seems to be a female thing! Mr. Green
To explain it to you guys:
"The right side is there, where the flowers stood at the upper window, while I once was sitting on my mothers place at breakfast." Exclamation
Most time I need this picture in my brain to know where the right side is and have to analyse it very quick. That's how it works for me! If it's going fast it doesn't register with me that I used this picture. Those times I have no problems then. But not always this mental picture is available fast enough, especially not if I have to notice a lot of other stuff at the same time with the result that I confound directions.
Btw for the left side it is a little more difficult because there is no picture and the mental way is a little longer. It works like that: Where is the right side? - Ok, left must be the other one! Laughing
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chuckus



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 36

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 05:03:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm left handed...

Left is the side my writing hand is. Right isn't....


Maybe you're over complicating things?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Biene_Maja



Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 79
Location: Paderborn, Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 07:17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with right and left is real and a weakness. I tried to learn it but sometimes it doesn't work.
At maps where we have to go several ways smoke is not helpful...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 08:57:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckus wrote:
I'm left handed...
Left is the side my writing hand is. Right isn't....
Maybe you're over complicating things?
No Chuckus, in this case definitively not! I learned the left-right thing long before I learned to write. And if I would differenciate the directions like you, I would have to imagine how I sit somewhere and write, and in which hand the pen is to find then. So it would be the same with just another picture. For lots of females left and right are such abstract things that they need to be bound to something imaginable. (And this fact is often not imaginable for a lot of males. Wink )

Biene_Maja wrote:
The problem with right and left is real and a weakness. I tried to learn it but sometimes it doesn't work.
At maps where we have to go several ways smoke is not helpful...
I agree.
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snakeye



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 461
Location: Graz, Styria, Austria

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 16:42:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm afraid the "if you don't like it then don't use it" argument won't work here, how about we restrict the radar to female players only? So the mutator looks if any (known) female players are present and allows the radar for them.

I mean what's the worst thing that could happen? Biene and Firebird can rejoin the squad sooner after getting wasted and might produce a tad less TKs? If you think the TKs make it more realistic I could try to make up for it - everytime I'm on the server with Biene and/or Firebird I'll TK one person more than ususal, someone other than the aforementioned and myself of course; don't worry, I'll make it look like an accident Mr. Green

I that's too complicated I would point back to "don't like it, don't use it"..
_________________
"Anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing."

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-04-30 18:15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Snakeye. Mr. Green
Maybe the radar could be bound to the female face I'm waiting for. Razz Wink
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spm1138



Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 49

PostPosted: 2008-05-09 00:51:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly was the problem with the radar?

It's quite short ranged and the information it provides is pretty limited.

Given Inf's narrowish field of view and iffy sound system I'm not sure the radar was particularly realism destroying? :S
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-05-18 13:42:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, cause I really want to know that:

*Firebird* wrote:
WHY the radar is removed Question And why all changes on both servers Question

I'm persevering to call for answers until I got them, in case I need it for better understanding! Wink
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]


Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Location: Germany

PostPosted: 2008-05-18 14:55:02    Post subject: Re: WHY? Reply with quote

*Firebird* wrote:
Why you disabled the radar Question

Well...

No one asked why I enabled it in the first place. INF was never played with radar. Technically it was always there but no server allowed it cause it simply doesn't fit a realism orientated game. I don't get why people assume it to be enabled.

I enabled it cause I thought it might be a compensation for INF's limited field of view and the resulting limited situational awareness.

I disabled it when I learned that it affects game play in a way not intented by me.
Sure, the radar is optional and can be disabled client side but that doesn't help when people stop (or never started) caring for the team mate next to them not to get lost.
To me, this is a huge immersion breaker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Carpetsmoker



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 380
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands

PostPosted: 2008-05-18 18:16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

We can put just about anything in Infiltration, and just say "If you don't like it, don't use it", why not a rocket launcher? X-Wing? Phaser? God mode? Infinite ammo? etc. etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
*Firebird*



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: North-West-Germany

PostPosted: 2008-05-18 18:47:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for radar-remove-explanation Stm. I accept that decision, though I don't believe that people will care more about teammates now, only by the reason that radar is gone.
But I will remember you, while getting on your peoples nerves if you don't care enough! Wink

Carpetsmoker wrote:
We can put just about anything in Infiltration, and just say "If you don't like it, don't use it", why not a rocket launcher? X-Wing? Phaser? God mode? Infinite ammo? etc. etc.

No Carpet, that's not the same. If I would use the radar it would help me and would not interfere your game, if you would even notice it. Using a rocket launcher or god mode or something like that would do!
_________________

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Our team is well balanced. - We have problems everywhere. Tommy Prothro (since 1941)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICBM



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 51

PostPosted: 2009-07-25 20:54:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hey ICBM lives*

I think I've said this in another topic but I believe the tactic/arcade situation is not this black and white. There are a couple of EFFECTIVE tactics that depend on the server you are playing on. So 'effective' cannot automatically mean 'realistic'.

* On COOP 1 or TDM/DTAS etc etc, ok I agree the use of a compass (aren't we confusing radar with compass??) to know where your Tmates are is very confinient but not realistic. HOWEVER, what most realism folks seem to forget that you do not have a sense of awareness on the monitor as in real life. The lack of true 3D sound effects (not just gunfire and lame footsteps) and limited visual contrast and ranging clues for a start. So in my opinion you need some guides to assist in awareness or else you make the game unnecessary difficult for 'realism's sake.
I mean, I could have a watch on my wrist with a compass on it, but since the engine doest model this I need a surrogate compass on the 'hud'... what's wrong with that? But stuff like weapons selection and mag count is unneeded, I give you that. Another problem that arises is that in 'real life' the dead stay dead. You wont have to wait for teammates to catch up because they are dead.. Since this isn't the case (and thus destroys any 'realism claim' I need to be able to know where my teammates are.. Teamspeak only partially solves this.

* But, on Xplod COOP server with the monster mutator the case is entirely different. Excuse me, but screw having a conversation first about proper firing positions and weapon selection when 10 skaarj are running at you. Open fucking fire right now with several MG's and mow them down before they get to close and rape you. COOP2+extra monsters isn't about realism, even with all the squad tactics in the world you wont make it. If 'realism' means dying for no good reason, fuck realism. The whole IDEA of that server is to see if you survive mass attacks, by any means necessary.
_________________
"I do not aim with my hand, He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand, He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun, He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carpetsmoker



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 380
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands

PostPosted: 2009-07-26 08:10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Did I user this one yet? I seem to be running out of facepalms ...

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Coop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.21-7 (Debian) © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group