Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M4 Mutators
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-06-28 09:51:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Psy - that's the variables I modified, meaning I'm probably too incompetent to do so for reload; guess this will take a bit more time than previously expected. And as for class names, if I hadn't figured them out before I'd probably hadn't been able to make any M4 mutator Smile.

Hope it get's not too hot for work today Neutral

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-06-28 12:51:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential horrible news. It appears the heat was too much today - apparently my laptop decided to go nuts while I was in a tests session and when restarting the screen showed strange lines which might or might not indicate a Graphics Card and/or Motherboard and/or Screen problem of the more serious kind.

Anyway, my old rig is about 150klicks away and I won't see her until tomorrow, so don't expect anything to happen soon - to be honest I'm glad if I can go Inf tomorrow Sad

Ain't life a bitch..

Edit:
It's official, my current laptop down - so this project is on hold until I get my new one, but this may take a few weeks. I jut hope my old rig doesn't crap out too in this time, since I'll probably go nuts then - last time I went a week without gaming computer got me pretty edgy - I pity my coworkers..

I know I always like to buy new laptops - but not like this, not like this..

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-06-30 00:02:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks Snakeye, hope you can fix your probs, we are lost without you. Razz
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-06-30 05:47:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's a bit exaggerated. Well, my new rig should ship around July 11th - the rest depends on how long it takes to get Inf up and running and wether or not I'll be able to get the data back from my old hard-drive.

The first might be a pain in the ass, since I remember it took me a bit to get inf running on my now deceased XPS 1710 - and she didn't have SLI (why do those clowns at Dell not build a laptop with a single 8800M GTX? - and keep your Dell jokes, here in Austria you don't have much choice when it comes to gaming-able laptops).

The second should work okay - the hard-drive should be in working condition, since as far as I could judge only the GFX card went to computer hell; and a friend of mine has an adapter for laptop drive to USB. If I actually get the data soon I might even consider setting up the compile environment on my old (now only) computer and do some work there - funny, everyone made fun of me when I kept my now 4 years old 9100 as backup; now her little Mobilty 9700 and her 3GHz P4 is all that keeps me sane - and able to play Inf..

Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-29 12:06:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a while and I can't really say I was able to do much work, but since I have holidays this week I might end up fixing a few things and making some simple addons.

Which leads to the following question:
I've added the changed hip/aim views and while I'm pretty sure the hip views look fine (definetly hipper, if you excuse the pun) I think the aim views have a more drastic impact than I previously assumed - so I took a few screens to post here and get your opinions. (I went with X=-0.9 btw..)

- Screen one is the backup irons view (not that many people use it..). Looks actually correct to me.

- Screen two is the carry handle view. It seems so much bigger, but one again it looks correct to me.

- Screen three is basically the point where I have no real idea - it's the reflex sight, which actually became quite a bit smaller, although it does seem somewhat correct since it's mounted quite a way from the eye of the shooter. Note that the aim dot actually ends up being on the front irons, which does look kinda odd, and is the reason for..

- Screen 4, reflex again but with slightly lowered aim view - so the aim dot "wanders" up (it always show the point of impact, so no loss of precision while shooting) and ends up being slightly off center.

So, should I change the reflex or leave it as it was?

And to add misery to confusion: I doubt reload view is going to make it into the next release. Right now I'm thinking of adding modified 40mms to have the better trajectory and then test the whole stuff.

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-07-29 12:16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

I'd make the sights slight bit closer to eye though, but it's just my opinion.
I think the reflex sight should still be a little bit closer to the view, but not to much. The dot beeing above the front post instead of beeing aligned with it is better I think.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-29 16:16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the irons are as close as I can do them without having sleepless nights - technically the aim view should be a tad more to the rear, since diopters without round front sights use the front irons guard to align with the rear circle, well at least that's how it works on a No. 5 Enfield. Right now there's a distinct space between the guards and the rear circle, so technically the shooter is already too close to aim properly Mr. Green.

The aim distance of the reflex is now identical to the others - as it should be if I'm not mistaken; however it already struck me with the original view how close the aiming dot is to the front sights - wouldn't a reflex sight be mounted to be clearly above the front sights? Otherwise the advantage of having a "clearer" field of view is reduced. Is there a graceful way to either up the reflex sight slightly or increase their size slightly to get significantly above the front sights?

spm1138

PostPosted: 2008-07-29 18:20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know:
Sometimes they're mounted to "cowitness" the iron sights... although I believe that's mostly so you can use the irons if the optic conks out.

Since the Trijicon reflex has pretty much nothing to break on it (it's powered by daylight and radioactive material) I'm not sure if that would apply.

Reflex optics tend to be designed to work with both eyes open (the brain superimposes the dot and the clear field of view - this works even with the front lense cap down)... but since Infiltration doesn't do binocular view I guess it's a different question.

PostPosted: 2008-07-30 17:39:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be possible that this mutator eats one M203 grenade out of your loadout?

i.e.: add 15, but spawn with only 14 (HUD indicates 13; that is 13 in backpack + 1 in the weapon).
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-07-31 07:31:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadLord wrote:
Could it be possible that this mutator eats one M203 grenade out of your loadout?

i.e.: add 15, but spawn with only 14 (HUD indicates 13; that is 13 in backpack + 1 in the weapon).

Known issue - I'm not sure if I was able to fix it or not, but I think it was fixed. It's load order dependent though: if you have M4Imp after WP151 [in the mutator list] it eats one 40mm; if you have M4Imp before WP151 you may end up getting a M4 instead of a Hk416 - this IS fixed for sure in the next release. There also are a few fuck-ups regarding bulk as Lich mentioned in BuF, they should (mostly) be fixed too. Man, I never thought it would be harder to replace something than add something..

Now if I wasn't so fucking lazy at the moment (and didn't have to fix the brakes on my and my moms car) I'd actually say I will be able to release the new version on sunday - but I still have to do the testing and given the kind of problems that arose I'll have to do quite some more testing than before, especially with focus on load order.

Is there a medicine aganst lazy? Whisky and/or playing NWN2 didn't seem to work..

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-07-31 22:55:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
Well, the irons are as close as I can do them without having sleepless nights

What's the problem there?

Snakeye wrote:
Technically the aim view should be a tad more to the rear, since diopters without round front sights use the front irons guard to align with the rear circle, well at least that's how it works on a No. 5 Enfield. Right now there's a distinct space between the guards and the rear circle, so technically the shooter is already too close to aim properly Mr. Green.

I agree, but I also put the overall feel of the weapon use into consideration, because the rear sight of that M4 is wrong anyway, the aperture should be smaller which would justify the position closer to the view.
However, whatever you do is better than the standart M4 offsets.

Snakeye wrote:
The aim distance of the reflex is now identical to the others - as it should be if I'm not mistaken.

I think because a reflex sight does not require definite head positions and sight alignment it has more freedom in how you hold the rifle, you could technically get the cheek further on the buttstock. I think a slightly (emphasis on "slightly") closer reflex view would look a slight better though.

Snakeye wrote:
However it already struck me with the original view how close the aiming dot is to the front sights - wouldn't a reflex sight be mounted to be clearly above the front sights? Otherwise the advantage of having a "clearer" field of view is reduced. Is there a graceful way to either up the reflex sight slightly or increase their size slightly to get significantly above the front sights?

I think the trijicon is mounted in a way so that getting the dot centered would probably make it appear above the front post. I pointed Geogob at that issue earlier, but he said they are not going to change that, who cares anway.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-08-01 15:14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Snakeye wrote:
Well, the irons are as close as I can do them without having sleepless nights

What's the problem there?

Definetly a psychological problem on my part. I think the sights look right now - and shifting them further to the eye just doesn't look right to me anymore. And if things don't look right it gives be nightmares..

Psychomorph wrote:
I think because a reflex sight does not require definite head positions and sight alignment it has more freedom in how you hold the rifle, you could technically get the cheek further on the buttstock. I think a slightly (emphasis on "slightly") closer reflex view would look a slight better though.

I've no real experience with reflex sights, but every other sight type I know needs the eye to be at a certain point to work properly; since a rifle should be build in a way to allow the user to get his head in this ideal position, I doubt there would be a difference in position wether or not the shooter was using normal irons, a scope or a reflex sight. In any case I'll conduct a few tests regarding the distance - although I found a slightly z-axis changed position (between standard and the one I posted) that has a pretty good look and the dot right above the front irons..

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-08-01 21:30:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
I've no real experience with reflex sights, but every other sight type I know needs the eye to be at a certain point to work properly.

Reflex sights do not follow these rules. You can hold the rifle like a pistol and still see the dot (only if you look straight through the scope of course), or you can put the eye right behind it, it doesn't matter, you still see the dot which hits where it is pointed at (unless wrong zeroed).
Of course a shooter would not do both, but choose a more comfortable position, my point is just that few milimeters wont do a difference with reflex sights.

But do as you thing it is right.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2008-08-02 16:31:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I was finally able to break the lazy-barrier and get some testing done - which was indeed a good thing since I found some minor and not so minor issues, all except for one should now be fixed - and I'm aiming to fix the last one tomorrow since I need a server for that. In any case I think I should be able to release the new version tomorrow evening.

The main new features will be:
- Bugfixes for bulk and Hk416 replacement issues
- New hip and aim positions
- 40mms now have the INF blast/effects and the INFMOD trajectory, i.e. they do have their proper max range of 400m.
- Removal of safety sound when raising/lowering the weapon

The unsure feature, since it still does cause trouble (this time offline..) is the client side ini fire mode selection; basically it allows the user to set the start fire mode via client side ini, so everyone can have his/her personal preference. If I don't get it to run properly I'll leave it out though, since I consider the bugfixes more important.

The attached pic is a slightly (well, a tad more than slightly perhaps) changed reflex aim view. Does this look better to you guys?

Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2008-08-02 17:07:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, keep it.

Funny thing is, that all your posted pics are larger than my monitor resolution and look perfect when I see them unscaled (I move the gun to centre), but it is not possible that way ingame, because of the fov moving the guns to that position would keep the front sight smaller, while on the picture it is larger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: