Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index Another Infiltration Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another mutator request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-12-02 16:02:24    Post subject: Another mutator request Reply with quote

You saw it coming. Actually this "idea" I had since the very beginning I started playing INF.

My point is, that when having the gun at the ready (aimed, but moved to lower screen area to have an open view for observation, I call it "ready" position in INF) I always felt (and still completely do) that it is annoying to look up to scan the area above you and getting the gun right in your view (because you need to move the mouse forward to look up and that obviously moves the gun to the screen centre). Actually that annoys me when carrying it hipped aswell, as I use to move the hipped gun down, out of the view (feels like really carrying the gun in a "carry position"), and it is annoying to sway the hipped gun all around your view to look around.

So my solution would be this:
Aimed and hipped, holding the aim button, locks the weapon at the position it is held at (moving the mouse you move the screen/view, but weapon remains at the same position), of course only as long you keep the button pressed.

The benefits would be:
- weapon can be kept at the ready (aimed), but still held low even if you look around (vertically) and always have an open view.
- When aiming at a target and holding the button, the hold breath function of course still works, but gives you also a stably held weapon, so you have no oversensitive weapon freeaim motion (which is faster than the view turn speed), but can move the sight at the comparably slower view turn speed.

Of course, who doesn't like a locked weapon when holding breath, shouldn't be forced to have this mutator activated (on/off switch).

I can already see that making this mutator is totally impossible to make without to break the entire game, etc (<-- meant with sarcasm and without), but I had to post it, right here, right now, because first; I have this idea in mind since I started INFing in 2002 and second; I couldn't bear the annoyance of swaying the f*ing gun all over my view when trying to quickly observe various spots of the location basically every second, last time I played co-op. I made my point.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-12-02 19:01:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-12-02 19:02:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Don't want to depress you or anything ... Just being realistic...)
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-12-02 19:09:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if Beppo has good mood as he had when he programmed my other little awesome and totally revolutionary ideas. Rolling Eyes
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-12-03 07:04:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychomorph wrote:
Not if Beppo has good mood as he had when he programmed my other little awesome and totally revolutionary ideas. Rolling Eyes

Yes! I'm in the clear - he found another victim Mr. Green

On a sidnote: isn't hold aim already a tad overused?

On a second sidenote: did you ever consider learning a bit of UnrealScript? If you'd spend half the time writing elaborate posts doing a bit of UnrealScripting you'd probably already had done muties for one or two of your ideas. Or gone straight into insanity like others Mr. Green

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-12-03 15:00:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeye wrote:
On a second sidenote: did you ever consider learning a bit of UnrealScript?

I tried (I think even two times), to complicated for me. I might give it another try, but I have my doubts.
Carpetsmoker

PostPosted: 2009-12-03 22:29:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think UnrealScript / INF development is a particular good place to start leaning programming -- Mainly from the lack of documentation and support.
Snakeye

PostPosted: 2009-12-04 06:52:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have added the "if you already know a coding/scripting language" then - but the voices said that's not important so I didn't.

What? I shouldn't post this? Too Late Mr. Green

"This is a quasi-pleasant day. Almost not bad. Almost not bad at all..." Jon, 04.03.2009
Stinkmarder
[JgKdo]

PostPosted: 2009-12-04 20:49:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea is a few years late. Wink
But it is a good one. And IMHO it would be even better if you could move your head completly independently from the weapon so you could control your view with a head tracking system and the weapon with your mouse/trackball. Smile
Psychomorph

PostPosted: 2009-12-04 22:41:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkmarder wrote:
Your idea is a few years late. Wink

Never to late for co-op.

Stinkmarder wrote:
But it is a good one. And IMHO it would be even better if you could move your head completly independently from the weapon so you could control your view with a head tracking system and the weapon with your mouse/trackball. Smile

Head movement would be great, especially for prone, but it would lead to problems and frustrations in the player versus player game mode, where you can no longer know where a player is looking at, but for co-op no problem.

However, I just wanted to bring up a conceptually as simple as possible "solution" (conceptually, because I can't tell how simple it is to practically do).
The only thing that is required is to have the freeaim being deactivated on aim key press where the mouse movement moves the view the classical way (as Unreal originally does).
The only question is, how it will affect recoil, since recoil makes use of freeaim, but even then, once a recoiling gun reaches the top border of the freaim zone, the whole view moves up as the weapon keeps recoiling, so I guess shooting with the deactivated freeaim (aim key pressed) would behave the same.
It's easy if you think about it, but only a coder can say if it's as easy to do as it sounds, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Another Infiltration Forum Forum Index -> Infiltration Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: